First Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,
I am new to horn drivers, but not to wood working. I am looking to build some horns, and I'm trying to find the right ones. I have a relitivly large room and ~10 watts. I was thinking it would be best if I could use the ~$80 Fostex drivers. I really dont want to dump alot of money into this right now. If there are cheaper drivers that can be used that would be nice.
I was looking at the Dallas speakers over at full range drivers but Im looking for all options. I really like the looks of ... http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70522&highlight=first+build ... those but I am unsure of if there are plans and all that.
I have the ability to use a plotter so i would like to have scale pics so i could print them to size for a pattern.
I'm looking forward to your suggestions.
-greg

Well I have been doing ALOT of reading and I think that I want to go for fome hedlum horns, but the smaller version that Michael Speaker designed.
I am thinking that I will take the design he made and plot it up to 5', cut out the sides of the enclosure with 3/4" MDF and then use 11" plywood door skin stripps to bend to shape. They are only 1/4", but I would think that three of these with alot of glue and then a final coat of fiberglass resin would do the trick.
I just dont think I can get the curves using 3/4" MDF, even with cuts in it to help the bending process. However I am open to other wood suggestions, I am basicaly set on a design now so im really looking into how best make the enclosures.
I then plan to use the Fostex FE206E fll ranges and power it with a Pioneer Sa-5200 modded with a tube buffer stage.
-greg

Well I hate to post ***** my own thread, ut I went out in the shop and took a long peice of 3/4" MDF and put slits every 1/4" leaving about 1/4" of wood left at the cuts and it allowed me to make some pretty tight turns, well tight enough for these enclosures.
So after some trying and reading I have my project set and unless someone gives me a reason not to I'm going to use 3/4" MDF and the fill the holes iwth fiberglass resin, thats what i have done with my car enclosures.
I do have a question about modifying the design. I am thinking of flaring out the horn alittle so the speaker is wider at the bottom with the horn. I;m thinking of flairing it out about 4" on each side so the horn would gradually grow to be ~20 inches at the mouth. Since I can bend the MDF I know I CAN do this, but how will it effect the sound? I dont see where it would hurt, but I am obviously new to this.
-greg

<edited by moderator>

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.