New FE206E TQWT - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2006, 02:31 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

I haven't heard the ES-R, so any comments of mine must be taken with this in mind.

FWIW, knowing Fostex, the ES-Rs will certainly be worth the extra over the standard drivers. To look at them is to want them. As to if they'd go into Ed's cabinet, well, they'd go in alright, but I suspect you'd loose some bass as their Vas is about 20 litres higher, so you'd need to boost cabinet volume to get it back. Easiest way would be to increase the width by an inch or two. I can't run a sim at preasten as I suffered a major system crash yesterday and had to reformat my whole system C drive. I haven't had chance to get MathCad back on. I learned my lesson a few years ago though and have a complete daily backup on a second HDD, and a weekly backup of vital files on CD.

I'd put the ES-R into a full-blown BLH though. The massive magnet (that wonderful cobalt-lathanum masterpiece) deserves it so you can get every drop of detail from them. If funds are a little tight, the standard driver is great. Remember, FR drivers will never do massive dynamics swings as well as a full-blown multi-way -a single cone just can't do everything at once. This makes a very good fist of it though, and better than a lot of poorly designed multi-ways I can think of (so, almost all of them, then!). You can feel the impact of a kick-drum in your chest with these beasts. Not bad at all...
Old 26th November 2006, 03:35 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default Freddy that's the one...

yes this was the first link that came up but the calculator links go no where. Will see if I have the patience to contact him and ask for explaination. Thanks Freddy. All the best Moray James.
Old 2nd June 2007, 03:35 PM   #23
Cathul is offline Cathul  Germany
diyAudio Member

After writing Ed an email first to clarify some questions there still are some open issues to me.

First, i'm very interested in concepts like MJK's projekt 5 or the Vofos as i want to build a fairly easy to build speaker which doesn't generate a lot of effort to set it up like some multiways or cabinets with a lot of parts with lots of mitres.

Second, after reading a lot of threads here on diyaudio.com or hifi-forum.com (a german forum) i came to the conclusion that the FE207E might be a good and not so costly start into diy speaker building.

So i want to ask which modifications are necessary, if necessary at all, to put the FE207E into the Vofo?
In MJK's projekt no. 5 the only difference is the BSC, at least as far as i read the project description. Is this true for the Vofos as well, or are they specifically designed for the FE206E?

I understood that FR systems have limitations in their own way, like every other speaker system, but they look like a good start into the diy area of speaker building, so i really want to give it a try, but don't want to buy a speaker with, according to several messages, the limitations in regards to cabinets like the FE206E.

If systems like the Vofos or MJK's projekt no. 5 doesn't fit my technical setup or music preferences at all it wouldn't be a problem to tell me that as well. :P

To give you an overview about my technical (and room) environment here's the current setup of room and hifi system:

Listening room: ~ 15-20 square meters
Amp: NAD C352
CD player: NAD 514
Turntable: Rega Planar 3
Music: i like all music except techno/house music, but i'm somewhat focused on rock/hard rock and blues.

If you need any more ansers or informations please let me know.

In hope of some answers and information,

Peter
Old 2nd June 2007, 05:20 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

The Vofo design would need changing somewhat as it's intended to suit the needs of the 206.

Frankly, if your leanings are toward rock, then FR drivers are not the best solution, unless you run them wideband (like a large midrange), with LF support and a good tweeter on the top. It's not that they can't do the frequency extremes, but because of dynamic compression. They can do it, and often make an acceptable job of it, but a good multi-way (not that there are many of those) will always be better for that sort of music. Most FR drivers with a Qt of less than 0.3 will need some form of series resistance with your current NAD amp.

Hope that's of some use
Scott
Old 2nd June 2007, 06:24 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
The Vofo design would need changing somewhat as it's intended to suit the needs of the 206.

Frankly, if your leanings are toward rock, then FR drivers are not the best solution, unless you run them wideband (like a large midrange), with LF support and a good tweeter on the top. It's not that they can't do the frequency extremes, but because of dynamic compression. They can do it, and often make an acceptable job of it, but a good multi-way (not that there are many of those) will always be better for that sort of music. Most FR drivers with a Qt of less than 0.3 will need some form of series resistance with your current NAD amp.

Hope that's of some use
Scott
Yes it is.
Well, my main goal is to find a fr system now and eventually upgrade it with a corner horn and a supertweeter someday when i buy me and my wife a house with a larger living room.
In addition i doubt that there are many multiway systems which i can get for approx. 300-400,-- a pair like the fostex, either 207E or 206E, with their corresponding enclosures.
What would be a good multiway in the price range of 600,-- to 800,-- a pair, as i don't want to spend more money than that at the moment. "Good" multiway systems, according to hifi-forum.com are, for example, these http://www.acoustic-design-magazin.de/html/midu.html or these: http://www.acoustic-design-magazin.d...eton2uxxl.html (both are presented in german on this website, but there are a lot of measurements and stuff like that and many people built and wrote stories about those speakers), but they are, at least for the moment, far to expensive.

Yours,

Peter
Old 2nd June 2007, 06:24 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

One addition to my last post...
If the NAD would cause some troubles, i still have a CR Development Calypso tube amp, but i would need to get some new tubes and a bias adjustment for the amp first.

Peter
Old 2nd June 2007, 08:38 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

A fair point. You might just about scrape a WD kit speaker & a sheet of MDF to build the boxes for that money, but they're the only ones I know of worth listening to for the kind of music you primarily enjoy. So one of Martin's MLTLs or Ed's Vofo look like being your best option. If you go for the former, use the 207. The latter, the 206. If you're running your NAD amp, you might want to experiment with adding some series resistance to both.

Sonically, Martin's MLTL will go deeper, more smoothly than the Vofo. The Vofo counters with a more dynamic presentation and being tuned a bit higher, maximum excursion occurs above the most critical zone, where most of the energy is, making it better for rock music. Both image superbly well; get in the sweet-spot and they're pin-sharp.
Old 3rd June 2007, 09:17 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A fair point. You might just about scrape a WD kit speaker & a sheet of MDF to build the boxes for that money, but they're the only ones I know of worth listening to for the kind of music you primarily enjoy. So one of Martin's MLTLs or Ed's Vofo look like being your best option. If you go for the former, use the 207. The latter, the 206. If you're running your NAD amp, you might want to experiment with adding some series resistance to both.

Sonically, Martin's MLTL will go deeper, more smoothly than the Vofo. The Vofo counters with a more dynamic presentation and being tuned a bit higher, maximum excursion occurs above the most critical zone, where most of the energy is, making it better for rock music. Both image superbly well; get in the sweet-spot and they're pin-sharp.
I guess that's what i'm going to do, although my wife isn't so enthusiastic about me building a set of speakers atm.
But i guess this is a way which gives me a lot of opportunities to upgrade later when i have more space in the bigger living room.

That's what i like the most about the idea of building a set of speakers myself. Start easy and upgrade later when appropriate.
With factory build speakers this isn't possible this way.

Many thanks to all of you for your help,

Peter
Old 17th October 2007, 07:28 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Thought I'd revive this thread as I'm currently listening to Ed's Mk2 Vofos, having temporarily swapped them for my 167 MLTLs so he can run some Clio measurements on them. (Ed built the MLTLs for me, to my design)

First reaction -in my room, they're excellent. Plenty of clout, detail retrival is excellent, and off-axis, the 206 is pretty clean sounding, & not as sibilant as it can be on-axis. The whizzer isn't perfect on the 206 (better than the 166 though IMO) -you can occasionally hear it let go, but that's just a characteristic of the driver. I'd be intrigued to hear what EnABL would do for them. Anway, make no mistake guys, this is a very worthy cabinet design indeed & the distributed vents give a lovely, spacious presentation. And they can party when you ask them to in a UK sized room. Oh yes. Loads of line gain & an 8in driver with a big motor means grins. Compared to most of the anaemic commercial floorstanders you'd get in the UK with their little cones, these are in a different league.

Nice one Ed, & many thanks for loaning them to me too!
Old 17th October 2007, 07:44 PM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I'd be intrigued to hear what EnABL would do for them.
EnABLed 206s will be passing thru your house soon

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!