adding tweeters to full range speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this morning when i finished my FR speaker, using the TB 3 inch bamboo driver with a needle enclosure. immediatly, i was unsatisfied with the high's. could i add a tweeter to go from about 18000 hz-25000? I'd prefer not to modify anything with the driver, and just make a crossover for the tweeter. would this be possible?

thanks

legendaryfrog said:
this morning when i finished my FR speaker, using the TB 3 inch bamboo driver with a needle enclosure. immediatly, i was unsatisfied with the high's. could i add a tweeter to go from about 18000 hz-25000? I'd prefer not to modify anything with the driver, and just make a crossover for the tweeter. would this be possible?

thanks

Yep. Just find the appropriate value of capacitor to result in a high-pass filter at about 16-18khz, and add a suitably high-frequency tweeter.

well thats true how we cant hear that high, but would it be ok for the woofer and tweeter to merge frequencies?

that means i'd set the tweeter to about 13000 hz-above without modifying anything with the driver so both the tweet and woofer do the freq's between 13000 - 20000hz? or wil it sound bad?

Try many differant cap values..

use test clips & don't be affraid to go .47 or even .22uf. I use .22uf on ribbons, & fools me into more air..with green cone Saba's..but is it really my imagination.? to deep in there 1st order & you mess up your image & other things, easy to tell where you like it. test clips are my best friend.

>>> does the piezo tweeters require crossover?

It does to sound best. Without crossover it will play full blast and scare the bugs and dogs away. What needs to happen for hi fidelity is to reduce its output to only the top octaves. All you want the piezo to do is add ‘air’ to the presentation. It will barely sound like it’s on even with your ear close to it.

Piezo impedance is very high. By adding an 8 ohm resistor the amp sees a more normal 8 ohm load. Changing the resistor changes the overall output of the piezo.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/piezo.asp

Peace,
Godzilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.