Help wanted with PVC TLs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to build a pair of TLs based off of Rob Samson's designs.

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/sampson/index.html

Mine sound like absolute carp.

When my drivers (40-1041's) are mounted just in the end of a piece of of PVC elbow, they sound excellent, if you can ignore the lack of bass. However, now they sound like tinny garbage.

I'm using quilt batting stapled to the occluding wood piece. Should I get rid of the wood, and just stuff the old-fashioned way? Perhaps my wood piece (which seems to, after batting is applied, be blocking almost the whole things) is causing it not to work properly? Or perhaps my drivers just suck?

Well, you just said they sounded fine before you did this, so they don't suck, QED. OK, they'll never be the world's best, but they aren't bad. No idea about their parameters though.

Get rid of the wood. It's no business being inside a line: it's taking up volume that is required for other purposes. Stuff them properly. It should make a difference. Start with about 0.25lbs ft^3.

Also, you may have to adjust the length. Your drivers are different to Rob Sampson's. The timber post was to create a tapered line. You may not need that.

The goal is to get the best from a small driver, keep experimenting. It may take some time to get the stuffing right. It took me several hours to optimise mine.

Scottmoose said:
Well, you just said they sounded fine before you did this, so they don't suck, QED. OK, they'll never be the world's best, but they aren't bad. No idea about their parameters though.

Get rid of the wood. It's no business being inside a line: it's taking up volume that is required for other purposes. Stuff them properly. It should make a difference. Start with about 0.25lbs ft^3.

You're probbably right. As soon as I'm less nauseous (@!$!@#$ stomach flu!) I'll remove the wood bit and use a standard style of stuffing.

Any advice as to how to get the stuff to stay in there? I was thinking hot glue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.