Jordans in sealed enclosure? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2006, 06:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Jordans in sealed enclosure?

I am currently designing a full range enclosure for the Jordan JX92s. After discovering this forum I read that TL do not play well with subwoofers. I am planning on encorporating an 8" powered driver in this enclosure (seperate of course). The reason I am doing this is they type of music I like needs a little extra bottom and I hear that these do not have enough kick for rock.

Anyways. On the Jordan site there is a 3L plate basically for the 92s, doing some modelling I thought a 5l would work a little better...

Does anyone have experience with a sealed setup or really anything other than TL?

BTW if it matters, the Jordans will be powered by an Onix SP3 tube amp and the 8" will be Tang-Band W8-740Cs powered by a BASH amp.

Suggestions very much welcome, someone in Atlanta that could let me listen to some Jordans would be much appreciated!!
Old 19th November 2006, 12:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Jordan sealed volume

I think you're right about going to 5 L. I've got the MLTL, haven't done sealed, but I seem to remember 7 L for someone's sealed version.

There are some good posts on the Jordan and debates about enclosures at the FullRange Driver Forum. I just searched & found a debate between 3L and 5L, so you ought to get some good info there...
Old 19th November 2006, 03:34 PM   #3
cs is offline cs  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm just about to start building an MLTL design for the JX92S. I did the design using Martin King's 'Ported box' worksheet, and this predicts a lower -3dB point of 35Hz, so no sub-woofer should be necessary. Of course, it could be that the max SPL may not be enough for your application.

The overall enclosure size comes out at 800mm (H) x 164mm (W) x 266mm (D), so reasonably compact for a TL design.
Old 19th November 2006, 04:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys.

The reason I am trying to go sealed is because if the TL doesnt quite do it for me I want to have options.

I figure with a powered woofer you pretty much have a dial to control the bass level.

I will search the other forum to see what I find.

Hide this!Advertise here!