Best 3" Voigt pipe plans?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all...just picked up a set of Logitech "computer" speakers for next to nothing, and they have these neat 3" full range drivers with aluminum phase plugs. Not bad for $5 each. My plan is to junk the plastic cabinets and build a set of "real" enclosures for them, add BSC if necessary...basically see if I can get some decent sound out of these :D If I can't, oh well, I haven't lost much.

What would you guys recommend? I'm kinda looking at the Fostex FE87 recommend backhorn as a starting point, but English unit plans would help a lot :) What about Voigt pipes? I've got space for just about anything but open baffles :D

Thanks in advance.

Scottmoose said:
6x6x29in (external). It'd be easy enough to investigate an ML TQWT like these using similar dimensions for the aforementioned drivers.

Now I have another thread to subscribe to.

Here or elsewhere I fielded a question about the noogies and
and the tangbands. This seems to be a fit for the Voigt pipe
question but I have no idea on how to do the measures.

tubee said:
Search for: cyburg's needle

Like: http://www.plastichead.net/audiowor.../speakmenu.htm&p=speakers/needles/w3s-871.htm

Made them but with 4 inch units.

What a guy (link to plastichead). He does glue-ups in his living room.

Ya gotta love it.

I tried some floor standing experiments with TB's using
PVC. After that I decided they belonged on the
desktop and so the Voigt/Noogi looks like a better
solution. It's better for the following reason: most
Voigts, while eclypsed by other designs for floor-standers,
are always described as 'forgiving' as far as a build goes.

At 30 inches or so and with the drive down a bit, it
puts the listening height pretty much in the zone for
desktop.

i would like those plans...

if you could forward them to me some how, those plans would be an educating read.

the noogie is a is 1/3 scale abby, so think 2 feet tall. the driver is the ff85k, which to my knowledge is the greatest flux density to cone weight ratio driver fostex or anyone offers in the u.s. with a rising response in the upper range, it gives an effect of a super tweeter that makes 100hz. so above low bass, it can describe near infinite detail, it seems. I have had a blast playing with those drivers.

another thing to look at is the zigmahornet. plans on singledriver.com

have 3" TB W3-593SF

above plan is not there.

is there any suggestions of voight pipe for a 3"? I have build Cyburg Needles with these with BSC and they sound good.

I have extra and some plywood with itchy fingers. Any suggestion on the VP size etc.?

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 Ω
SENSITIVITY 1W/1m 86 dB
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 110-20K Hz
FREE AIR RESONANCE 110 Hz
VOICE COIL DIAMETER 18.4 mm
Levc 0.097mH
Zo 56ohm
X-max 0.5 mm
Vas 1.65 Litr.
Qts 0.59
Qms 4.97
Qes 0.67

thanks,

gychang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.