UK supplier for (~11 litre?) ready-made cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

My brother is in need of a UK supplier for a pair of cabinets to use with a pair of full-range drivers as cheap-and-cheerful speakers until he has time to build something from scratch.

He's recently found himself without a pair of speakers or the time to build anything fully DIY, and needs something reasonably quickly.

In the long run, he plans to put the same drivers from these speakers (probably either Fostex FE126E or CSS FR125S) into a pair of DIY horns.

Something like the Dayton enclosures sold by Parts Express in the US would be excellent:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Link

Does anyone know of a UK supplier of something similar?

Thanks

Greg

My suggestion would be to keep an eye on ebay, for an old pair of speakers, with suitable dimensions, and the butcher them to suit.
Ultimately I think you'll be better served by building your own. Timber merchants and some DIY stores will happily cut the main carcass pieces for you for a nominal cost.
Call a few for an idea of costs.
Not overly helpful I know but...

Steve

I once used a Biscuit barrel, for a centre with a tea and coffee canister for left and right.
Very reasonable for the cost, however most bread bins I've found are hardboard somewhere in there design (usually the back) so some additional work is still required.
A little bracing and time to sink the driver flush and results can be quite impressive.

Definitely one way forward, enabling separate enclosures for bass/mid and treble should your brother get a little adventurous!

Steve

Would be quicker to just get the measurements from winisd, send a cutting sheet off to a local timber supplier, cut out the required holes yourself and then just (insert suitable adhesive) it together. I knocked up a simple centre speaker like this and total build time was only a couple of hours and that included drying time (gripfill).

Chances are you'll just spend ages trying to find something suitable OTS, when you could have this done within a few days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.