Another FR125S design. Finally Completed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This one has been in the making for ages now (11 months I've just noticed), but I'm finally calling it finished, including the writeup.

It's a simple 9l ported enclosure with two notch filters. Measurements and design with lots of pics on the website:

http://www.vikash.info/audio/FR125S/index.asp

And a milestone has been reached for me, as it's the first time I've taken a design from start to finish including cabinet and filter design and measurements all by myself. Pat on the back please.

V

Looks great!! I'm curious about something. Are the small humps in frequency response really worth all of the circuitry? I'll be curious to hear your thoughts if you try them with and without.

Beautiful finish job and nice site! Also, the Orions looks great, one beast of a project, I'd guess. Appears as though they're coming along nicely.

one1speed said:
Looks great!! I'm curious about something. Are the small humps in frequency response really worth all of the circuitry? I'll be curious to hear your thoughts if you try them with and without.
Now that is a good question! I think with a bit more tweaking the upper notch could be more effective. The notches are defintely needed IMO, but even then the upper response is still a little sharp - probably exagerated by the sequence of peak-dip-peak inherent in the natural fr. However the end result is still +/- 3db from 20-20k.

The Orions are coming on well. I'm currently auditioning amps for the required 8 channels. Some finished pics ( before the great hard drive crash of '06 :( ) : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1002813#post1002813

andrewmc said:
Beautiful work.

Did you manage to get that flat frequency response without baffle step compensation?
Yes. I measure the low end response nearfield, summed port and driver response and adjusted for baffle step in software. The result is the FR shown. Bass is very nice. Sounds excellent in my smaller room, but a touch boomy in my long living room.

Vikash said:
Yes. I measure the low end response nearfield, summed port and driver response and adjusted for baffle step in software. The result is the FR shown. Bass is very nice. Sounds excellent in my smaller room, but a touch boomy in my long living room.
Now how many times do you hear about a 4" full range driver having too much bass output, becoming boomy in a big room...:)

Congrats on the design, looks really good! I'll have to try that filter out via emulation, see how it sounds...

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio®

Hi Vikash,

nice one!

Good to see some messurements of this setup - as I'm using a very simular one. I remember we discussed the notch filters a while back and I came to the same results, they do really improve the sound quality of the speaker.

After lots of testing and listening, I removed the upper filter and decided to listen about 15°-20° off axis, this way I find the HF actually very smooth and the sweetspot gets a bit "wider" ... but as always, that also depends on the room and it's reflecting surfaces.

cheers,
martin

Hi LC, what filter values did you settle on? My values ended up being quite different from Validators so I'd be interested to see how yours turned out, especially if you have any measurements.

Hi Dan, how did the emulation turn out? On another note, I put some sine tones through a Tempest in free air today and was shocked how pin drop quiet the mechanism is even through large excursion. :up: Looking forward to using one...

V

I have just completed designing the filters for the 7 liter bass reflex box:

baffle step notch: L = 1.5 mH, C = 5.7 uF, R = 10 ohms
7 kHz notch: L = 0.1 mH, C = 4.3 or 5 uF, R = 15 ohms

This network is optimized for listening at 1 meter distance and also should sound very balanced slightly out of axis. Linearity is excellent and doesn't deviate more than +/-1 dB from the ideal line in the critical range. Tomorrow I will build and integrate the network and be able to verify this by ear.

Interestingly, my 9 liter bass reflex box doesn't sound better than the 7 liter box. I suspect that the drivers shouldn't be allowed to handle too low bass. This doesn't surprise me, Qts is on the high side.

In my opinion, the 7 kHz notch is necessary if the speakers are listened to at moderate to high levels. At low levels, it is not obtrusive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.