Piezo tweeter to my BIB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gychang said:
don't need any crossover, I am considering experiementing with this. I will have to convert the cabinet into a removable baffle.

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog_name=MCMProducts&product_id=53-800

any thoughts will be appreciated.

gychang

Gychang,
Piezos have a reputation for sounding lousy, and the "Orange Juice Sqeezer" model is one of the worst. They really need a crossover and probably some "tuning" to get good sound out of them. Take it apart and give a thin coat of Dammar to the "cone" to even out the sound and when dry, reassemble and apply damping material (Duct Seal, oil based non-hardening modelling clay, etc.,) to the outside of the unit to cut down reverberation and the "Plastic Nasties". As long as you're up for tweeks, some claim that stretching a layer or two of grill cloth or some-other material across the mouth of the horn can really be beneficial. I know people that have used a lot of these, and they have said that they actually can be very good... IF .........you're willing to do a little work and don't cross them over too low.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hi,

no need to be afraid of crossovers, for a supertweeter you'll only need one capacitor in series to the tweeter - smth. between 1 and 3 microFarad - and maybe a resistor. That's really easy to handle and will enable you to adjust the xo frequency and attunation of the tweeter.

best, LC

http://melhuish.org/audio/DIYBX16.html

Scroll down to see how i 'tamed' my piezo.

I love piezo's on the back of the cabinet splashing off the rear wall... facing forward they are more agressive sounding.

You must play with the cap and resistor value to get the proper blend with your main driver. You can use an Lpad to play with the volume. You still need to find the right blend with a resistor and cap tho but you have additional flexibility.

The super tweeter should be 'barely there' and only act as an enhancement to your main driver.

Godzilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.