Delsol- inexpensive full range bookshelf.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
..I have always wanted to try the DelSol as my first DIY speaker project but have not been able to find the Aura NS3-194-8E..

Hi, FYI: IMO, a newer driver well suited for 'Delsol' is the Tb-W4-1320sj that uses the simulated box dimensions as in my post #107 .See the picture.

b

Attachments

• Delsol-AuraNS3-194-8E_vers_Tb-W4-1320sj_DBR-Sections_4_01_06[1].GIF
    Delsol-AuraNS3-194-8E_vers_Tb-W4-1320sj_DBR-Sections_4_01_06[1].GIF
    96.8 KB · Views: 746
Hi, FYI: IMO, a newer driver well suited for 'Delsol' is the Tb-W4-1320sj that uses the simulated box dimensions as in my post #107 .See the picture.

b

Thank you for sharing useful information. Although I don't fully understand the implications of the information provided, I see that TB-W4-1320sj is a better alternative to the Aura NS3-194-8E for building DelSol bookshelf.

However, the price of the TB-W4-1320sj (almost 100 US dollars for a pair, quoting Parts-Express) is beyond what I can consider as "inexpensive" for my first DIY speaker project.

I don't like to sound cheap, but what I liked so much about the original Delsol project was that the woodwork seemed simple enough for me to try as a first DIY project and the price was "cheap" enough to swallow even if I mess things up and end up with some wood and magnets while having a promise of good sound if I manage to build properly.

So any cheaper (and simple) alternatives?

I don't like to sound cheap, but what I liked so much about the original Delsol project was that the woodwork seemed simple enough for me to try as a first DIY project and the price was "cheap" enough to swallow even if I mess things up and end up with some wood and magnets while having a promise of good sound if I manage to build properly.

So any cheaper (and simple) alternatives?

If you're OK with a tall speaker that needs to be in a corner, a BIB corner-horn with a 3-4" driver is just the ticket. They're tall, but the footprint is very tiny. The woodwork is as simple as can be. Excellent sound, and unbelievable bass even from 3" drivers. I'm using 20 € three-inch drivers in mine. You can use almost any driver, just plug its parameters into a certain calculator Excel sheet and pop, out come the dimensions.

Epic thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=66173
Quick overview: http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-howtobuild.asp and http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp
Geometry calculator XLS: http://www.zillaaudio.com/bib-calculator.htm

Aura ns3-194-8e

Here's one I've been keeping under wraps, but it's time to share.

Use the Aura NS3-194-8E, on sale for $10.50 from Madisound.
Madisound Store
Ignore the fs, it does far better than the numbers indicate.
Especially in my box.

One half sheet of MDF (you might could squeeze it out of a quarter sheet, with no mistakes)
Some padding for the back wall ( felt or carpet pad)
2"dia PVC (you can play with the port size)
1/2"hardwood face, or use 1/2" MDF or birch ply if you have to, but it won't sound as good. Mine is maple.

I developed this for use with the t-amp, and have found it works very well with the higher powered amp6.
I present this as an experimental starting point, and welcome suggestions.

design goals were-
cheap,
simple,
audiophile sound,
no crossover, just a driver (mechanical mods only),
rock the party.

plans at -
DelSol speaker cabinet plan on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Just build 'em- I think you'll be glad you did.
Pekar

I have searched high and low for this speaker...do you have ANY leads on where I can find a pair of these...any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Nicholas G.

Hello,
Does anybody have a clearer drawing of the Delsol plans?
The 1197 mod is what I would like to try.

Thanks
:)

Hi Cambe,

Use this link:

DelSol - Aura NS3-194-8E - Inexpensive DIY Fullrange Bookshelf Speaker

Add 5.56" to the height: If the top plate is 0.75" then the new height is 9+5.56"=~37cm or if your top plate has another thickness: add 5.56" to 8 1/4" = ~35 cm

Hint: Move the 2" internal port towards(close to= 1/2 inch at most from the (leaving clearance for a thin layer of wool felt(1/4") to cover the rear inside wall of the top box ) the rear side of the box as this will lengthen the the total port system and improve the low end FR.

Adding an inch or two to the width of the top box is also beneficial as making this volume larger by pushing the tuning lower resulting in a much smoother low FR end.

b:)

b

I thought these drivers are for a sealed box? That is what Madisound is recommending. I've also used the Hivi 3 inch model m3n in a sealed enclosure, because that is what the manufacture listed, but I am interested in using it in a vented o rported enclosure to improve on poor sensitivity of the driver. Anyone tried that with either the Madisound or Hivi? Thanks all.

Digging this one from the depths...

So I had these Aura drivers in a test box. I finally took the plunge and made the Delsol enclosures. Unfortunately, when I started to unscrew the Aura's, their surrounds were brittle and began to crack. Therefore, I have the enclosures, which took me a good amount of time to build and no drivers.

I was searching for a suitable replacement driver and happened upon the Dayton Audio PC83-8. Can someone confirm that this might be a suitable replacement? It only costs $11.59 USD so it passes the budget constraint, but that is not a limitation for me.

You can google "Dayton Audio PC83-8 speakerboxlite" and then design your box online.
Choose either vented or sealed and see if the response fits, so plug in the volume that you have and adjust tuning so you arrive at the port of the enclosure.

Don´t know the Dayton driver but if that doesn´t fit, there are lots of alternatives that don´t cost an arm and a leg.
Faital Pro 3Fe22/25 are very good but there is so much more..

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.