Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2006, 02:47 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default eah, thanks for the tips!!!

I have an old junky table saw in my kitchen that I use from time to time. It could probably use a tuneup. it would make my projects look better too no doubt.

course, I am usually just aiming for an end sonic result. I have eventually found that selling my experiments to friends at modest prices allows me more feedback, a little cash to cover parts expenses, and keeps the clutter down in my apartment.

so getting a table saw right is important for me right now...

Clark
Old 5th January 2007, 02:17 PM   #22
pekar is offline pekar  United States
diyAudio Member

I've done a little research at Home Depot.
They sell PL premium construction adhesive, my favorite glue. It is $3.89 in the glue section. It comes in a caulk gun tube.

They also sell removable weatherstripping called "Seal and Peel" made by DOW it's $4.29 and is in the same section. I use this both for speaker gasket, and to temporarily put a face on a cabinet for testing that I'd like to disassemble later.

2" PVC is available in 2' lengths for only $2.69
Old 5th January 2007, 03:55 PM   #23
doggy is offline doggy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Very interesting,

I wonder how this driver would preform in a linear array of 3 or 4 units per side?[grouped in the same cab.] parts are priced right. Any opinions? and can it be modeled?
Old 5th January 2007, 04:25 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Does anyone know how well this speaker would work if built out of, say, acrylic?
Old 5th January 2007, 04:49 PM   #25
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spasticteapot
Does anyone know how well this speaker would work if built out of, say, acrylic?

Acrylic sheet as is "plexiglass", or the acrylic based mineral filler laden solid surface materials ( i.e. Corian, Avonite, etc.) ?

Due to the cost and fabrication intricacies, I've yet to hear any DIY speaker made from the latter, My only audition of a commerical (Full range) product was quite underwhelming .
Old 5th January 2007, 08:18 PM   #26
pekar is offline pekar  United States
diyAudio Member

Corian has been successfully used in a similar design. I think thick acrylic could work, but I don't think it would outperform 3/4" MDF.
Old 5th January 2007, 11:32 PM   #27
fusion is offline fusion  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

pekar. I am actually going to constuct these speakers.

any chance of a parts list such as wood sizes n stuff, much appreciated.
Old 6th January 2007, 02:34 AM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by pekar
but I don't think it would outperform 3/4" MDF
I don't know about that... IMHO MDF is not a great speaker building material (unless you are a speaker manufaturer trying to keep costs down)

dave
Old 6th January 2007, 12:54 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

I don't know about that... IMHO MDF is not a great speaker building material (unless you are a speaker manufaturer trying to keep costs down)

dave

I don't know about that. Some of the most expensive speakers in the world use MDF. I believe the Wilson Watt Puppys are partialy MDF. I agree with you that MDF is generally hard to design with and I have not gotten good results with MDF but many extremely high end speaker designers are using it. In the end, these guys are not worried about an extra hundred bux for wood in a 40,000 dollar speaker.

Tom
Old 6th January 2007, 04:56 PM   #30
doggy is offline doggy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Another reason mdf is used is because of dimensionl stability and milling qualities.

Hide this!Advertise here!