small bookshelf project suggestions please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have too much plywood left over from 2 BIB projects. Although I am totally sold on the big cabinet with a fullrange, I would like to build a small one for the bedroom (have to be shielded).

I would like to try:

either FE107E (FE103E is not shielded), or HI-VI B3S.

Has anyone built a smallish (hopefully stylish) cabinet that works well?, will be driving it with a t-amp clone, like jazz/classical/vocals.

thanks,

gychang

Zaph has one on his site.

He is Mr. Better Living Through Precision Crossovers, and he's not much of an FR fan (this is his only FR design so far).

More simply, you could DL a copy of WinISD or another box calc and come up with a cabinet volume for something that sims within reason. For example, a cabinet with volume of about 295 in^2 with a 2" diameter port of about 5.75" length should have an F3 of about 84Hz. Not great, especially not compared with a BiB but better than a sealed cabinet (couldn't get anything less than about 150Hz). Of course, in these standard box cabinets, you'll have issues with baffle step which will kill more bass unless you use a correction circuit (I'm no help for those) which will kill efficiency, or you place them right up against the wall or in and actual bookshelf to present, acoustically, a much wider baffle.

Maybe someone else has the low down on small folded lines of various sorts or double bass reflex enclosures (don't know much of anything about them other than they exist)

Kensai

Kensai said:

More simply, you could DL a copy of WinISD or another box calc and come up with a cabinet volume for something that sims within reason. For example, a cabinet with volume of about 295 in^2 with a 2" diameter port of about 5.75" length should have an F3 of about 84Hz. Not great, especially not compared with a BiB but better than a sealed cabinet (couldn't get anything less than about 150Hz). Of course, in these standard box cabinets, you'll have issues with baffle step which will kill more bass unless you use a correction circuit (I'm no help for those) which will kill efficiency, or you place them right up against the wall or in and actual bookshelf to present, acoustically, a much wider baffle.
Kensai

thanks, Kensai, I will look into how WinISD works.

gychang

Solo 103

For small size, elegance and a lot of scrap plus the small drivers you
want to use, look at the Onken and it's variation the Fonken threads here on the site.

I've been having a problem with Firefox today in making this reply...
I started 3-4 times now and am hitting some key that kills
the answer so I got one going in notepad. :)

Zaph has done a couple other designs for full range for the Tangband
w871s. One of those was my first scratch build after doing cabinet
mods and experiments with PVC pipe. I have to say I was not satisfied
with the result and am still looking for a good build for the W871s.

The original Fe103 onken by a Europenan builder is very compact and
looks great. I'll see if I can find it again.

Here it is:

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Solo103.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.