Getting an idea of the big picture

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
el`Ol said:
For an in-wall application the drivers would have to be small, because you can`t listen on axis.

Actually, given his diagram, the drivers could be positioned so that he is on axis. And in the specifi case of the Visaton, the primamry benefit of adding the phase plugs is a dramatic improvement in HF dispersion. Personally, having been exposed*, i wouldn't consider them without

*(in the interest of full disclosure, keep in mind that i may harbour a vested interest here)

dave

Consul said:
How about this for some questions:

1) What would you do for "no compromise" monitoring in the room I described?

2) Since we know compromises will have to be made, which ones would you make?

I'm putting a lot of emphasis on a) keeping any crossover points out of the 200-2k range, b) flat response over said range, and c) good transient response and damping. It seems to me that anything else beyond those is then open for compromise.

For this application? Thats actually pretty easy to answer:

I'd buy a Manger with the Neo Motor:
http://www.manger-msw.com/en/inhalt.html

This isn't a driver I'd normally recomend - but in this application and considering your requirements - its PERFECT!

(..provided of course that you are very carefull with a rear enclosure for the driver that has NO stuffing but has little interior reflections.)
http://www.hytechsales.com/prodsc.html

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Consul said:
The Visaton B200 is looking like a great driver for my application. I'm still unsure of what the phase plugs do, so I guess I can run off and do some research on that.

Planet10, do you sell B200s with the phase plugs already installed?

The major improvement is quite a bit better HF dispersion. The same enery that is seen as a rise on axis is distributed more evenely. There is also a slight improvement in the midrange (not something i even noticed was a problem until i was able to compare. This is noticable mostly on vocals.

This (LOONNNGGGG) thread on Audio Circle has some end-user comments that don't have the potential bias my comments do.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=19253.0

Modified B200s are $400 CAD + post.

dave

Then buy the unmodified drivers and install the plugs yourself. Cutting away the dust cap isn't rocket science -just take your time and it will be fine. Then you could add damping to the basket, frame etc etc etc. If I can do it for my 167s, which are harder to mod as they have a whizzer cone, then you can do it with a pair of B200s, with easier access to the dust cap.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
Then buy the unmodified drivers and install the plugs yourself.

Scott... if someone buys the drivers from me, i don't charge anything to install the plugs & do the ductseal. No one is going to buy from me on price so i have to add value -- oops, just checked Solen's pricing -- looks like they have gone down, so i'm charging too much -- should be $360 CAD modified w plugs.

dave

Aha. That would expain it. Please accept my sincere apologies Dave, I usually advise people to buy from you, as you know. My 126s are still improving -better than some Sigmas I've heard now.

Consul: trust me; it's worth the extra. If you need to save for a bit longer, do so. Your ears will thank you for it. Dave's modifications make a difference, and it's not a subtle one. The standard drivers are indeed, excellent, but the mods lift them to a completely new level. No witchcraft here BTW: the changes are measureable, and bring considerable improvements right across the frequency range. I have no personal interest in this I hasten to add: it's the honest view of a very satisfied customer. I've advised people to buy plugs & drivers from Dave for a while, and every one of them, including the sceptics, have come back raving either about the improvements (if it's a self-fit mod), or about the general quality of the drivers they've recieved, which have the benefits of additional tweaking to the magnet, basket, cone etc.

Take a look on the WD forum or Audiocircle and you'll see other people singing from the same song-sheet. Value for money isn't about the cheapest price; it's about the quality of what you end up with.

All the best
Scott

Consul said:
Holy...! :bigeyes: $1200 per driver?!

Well, I guess I did say "no compromise."

The Visaton B200 is looking like a great driver for my application. I'm still unsure of what the phase plugs do, so I guess I can run off and do some research on that.

Planet10, do you sell B200s with the phase plugs already installed?

The Manger used to be about $675 each from E-Speakers in the US.

The Visaton B200:

http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID4956567P4701059-VISATON-Full-Range/Full-Range-B200.aspx

..when you factor in canadian vs. the dollar AND dave's mod - his price is good!

http://translate.google.com/transla...d&prev=/search?q=visaton+b+200&hl=en&lr=&sa=G

Not exactly a linear response.. on ANY axis..

Fairly well suited for open baffle duty though Because of this deviation for total power response in-room when listened a bit off-axis.

On the otherhand there is always digital eq. ;)

Personally, I'd like to see what MarkMcK could do for the B200.:)

Life does not revolve aroud spectrum decay graphs. The FR8 isn't much better in this respect, so I gather. For example, I've seen the graphs (privately) of the drivers Tannoy use in their top-end £15,000 Westminster Royal HE and it's nothing much to shout about. But I've yet to hear anyone complain about the sonics. If perfect theoretical measuremets are important, then mini-monitors are the way forward. Acoustic Energy's AE1 MK3 for example, or the infamous BBC LS3/5a, preferably a Heybrook made 11ohm version, which usually had the best measured performance. In FR, no-one would pretend that the drivers are the most accurate -by multi-way standards the technical performance is frequently apalling. But there are other considerations too. I still reckon the B200 is the best value FR driver out there for OB applications. Most users report that Eq is not needed in their rooms. As always, YMMV.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.