BIB and underwear, nothing on top

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First I want to thank all those who helped this newbie. In particular scottmoose, special thanks.

I built BIB with the cheapest ("el cheapo") speaker that has the right numbers to be used in BIB. (http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog_name=MCMProducts&product_id=51-075), which sells for $11 each. It is not completely finished yet, but since the result is simply astounding, I will be changing the speaker to FE107E. To see how much more the sound can improve. I still have to finish the bottom molding and thinking about baffle around the speaker

My wife thinks I must have paid lots of $$, the sounds and looks is outstanding, despite my amateurish woodworking abilities.

The pictures should be self explanatory. Sorry about the underwear showing...

gychang

Attachments

• speaker1.jpg
    speaker1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 4,358
"Aren't they glorious?!!" John Hammond, Proprietor, Jurassic Park

Those, are wonderful looking BIB's. I love the looks of these damn things. The view from upstairs is especially kool. Mine are very similar looking, in dark-stain Cherry veneer, with the Fostex FE168EZ. Fostex drivers in these things really rip. I think the black moulding on top and bottom really truly sets them off. Makes me think about a steel wooled Steinway black moulding top and bottom, with concentric baffle, and Walnut veneer BIB.

Elegant A+

Scottmoose said:
Nice work indeed. Love the veneer; I liked that overhead shot too. Great stuff.

Actually cheap plywood, water stain, and water poly finish. never veneered before. Considering painting the cone white color (from craft shop paint, I can experiement with them since $11 each speaker...) and adding black round speaker baffle...

may have some more changes, will put up pictures. Thanks Scott for your help otherwise would have never made these.

gychang

I am flabergasted...

vangogh-hk said:
Oh my god!

What a professional looking DIY speaker I have been dreaming of.
What kind of amp are you using and what is your listening area.
How do you feel about it in playing classic and vocal.

Thank

my home is smallish but 2 stories so the ceiling is high. I am surprised and little embarrassed by the reaction. The speaker is $11 per each but the cabinet makes the sound in my opinion. Base is tight and there. Great speaker design, Scottmoose deserves the credit for the design and urging of the DIY community.

The stain and finish makes it look good, I had to spend several hours on weekends to patch up with the wood filler, molding is cut with small hand saw (since I have no table saw or miter saw). All the building is done with a circular saw and hand muscle. I spent 15X of price of a speaker to buy a router but only used it to make the base of the cabinet. Amp presently is from a portable cheapie combo unit, but I have amp6BASIC coming, that costs $35 (t-amp)... I will be using it to drive these.

thanks,

gychang

vangogh-hk said:
Oh my god!

What a professional looking DIY speaker I have been dreaming of.
What kind of amp are you using and what is your listening area.
How do you feel about it in playing classic and vocal.

Thank

I forgot to add, I like classical/jazz mainly. Not into rock at all. These are great, who said fullrange needs subwoooooofer??

gychang

If that "portable cheapie" is one of those JVC digital "Executive" things, they really sound great. JVC's switching amplifiers are the best I had heard, having the F-10 for awhile, and with Fostex it was just amazing. It is too bad JVC never even attempted to offer more advanced implementations of their circuit.

Again, I love those shots. It will be interesting to see what, and iF there is an improvement with Fostex 107. More pictures, please.

Mr Chang's efforts show that with some good care, TLC, these things, and good woodworking is within just about anyone's reach.

Not me gychang. All credit to Terry Cain, who managed to bring this generally ignored cab type back into the public gaze, and GM, who never forgot about it anyway. Martin and Jeff too, for MathCad worksheets, and for hosting the dedicated BIB pages on zillaspeak, respectively. All I've tried to do since first building a pair is encourage people to try them.

You've made a cracking job on these. If you can stretch to the FX120 (I know it's not cheap, but well worth it) you'll be left wondering if you'll ever really need to upgrade again.

Scottmoose - is the Fostex FX120 one of your favorite drivers for a BIB? I looked it up and it has an impressively flat freq. resp. though not quite as sensitive as the FE series. Strange that Fostex doesn't list the BL for that driver - do you know what it is?

I you had to rank order drivers for a BIB what would be your top 5? Anyone else have any opinions out there?

I have a couple of comments. Firstly, great job!

I give you credit for choosing the cheapest driver you could find to work in a BIB… you didn’t take the easy route when building these by selecting what was available on the BIB web pages. That makes you a pioneer of sorts. If you decide to upgrade the driver in the future you can. Something to look forward too is always nice. You can always make another baffle to fit different drivers.

I plan to cover the tops with a grill cloth to keep dust out. Will you do the same or leave them open? Also, do you plan to build some kind of grill cover for the front?

The stain looks great as does the top and bottom treatment. I wonder if there is a way to further clean up the wires? Perhaps a small piece of furniture between the speakers for your cd and dvd collection?

Which dims did you use?

Godzilla

dmason said:
If that "portable cheapie" is one of those JVC digital "Executive" things, they really sound great.

Mr Chang's efforts show that with some good care, TLC, these things, and good woodworking is within just about anyone's reach.

You have a sharp eye, yes it is JVC with bamboo speakers (tiny), my BIB speakers are head and above. I agree if I can do it just with a circular saw anyone can do this. Just make sure u end up with 10 fingers afterward...

gychang

Scottmoose said:
Not me gychang. All credit to Terry Cain, who managed to bring this generally ignored cab type back into the public gaze, and GM, who never forgot about it anyway. Martin and Jeff too, for MathCad worksheets, and for hosting the dedicated BIB pages on zillaspeak, respectively. All I've tried to do since first building a pair is encourage people to try them.

You've made a cracking job on these. If you can stretch to the FX120 (I know it's not cheap, but well worth it) you'll be left wondering if you'll ever really need to upgrade again.

I have to thank many folks, feel like I don't know them as well as you (although we never met). You were generous by answering my personal email even.

regarding FX120, my wife already thinks the speakers sound so good, she does not believe each cost $11/each. I showed her the receipt and says she will check the credit card statement...

I will have to think about FX120, since u have been the driver (no pun intended) for my project.

gychang

Godzilla said:
I have a couple of comments. Firstly, great job!

That makes you a pioneer of sorts. If you decide to upgrade the driver in the future you can. Something to look forward too is always nice. You can always make another baffle to fit different drivers.

I plan to cover the tops with a grill cloth to keep dust out. Will you do the same or leave them open? Also, do you plan to build some kind of grill cover for the front?

The stain looks great as does the top and bottom treatment. I wonder if there is a way to further clean up the wires? Perhaps a small piece of furniture between the speakers for your cd and dvd collection?

Which dims did you use?

Godzilla

You are generous with your praise.

I plan to cover the top with metal grid of somesort, after installing the "expensive speakers" I will put on a grill (plan on bending the clothes hanger and paint). This weekend I will clean up the wires with heat-shrink tube.

thanks,

gychang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.