tweaking the Fostex 206E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scottmoose

Hello,

real Fl horns have no folding, above the horn
it works like a wave guide.

example:
bass horn with 210 cm lenght is at 169 Hz infinite,
above this frequenz the horn gets to long and the frequenz
to short, 340 Hz is 1 m long, so you´ll get a lot of
inner reflexions and phase problems to the direct sound of the driver.

But most important to cut a bass horn near or
below 150 Hz is man´s groundvoice.

Your idea, with close walls is realised in the HORN Sat,
normally it must sounds coloured but it don´t because of the
coaxial horn mouth and the distance of the walls.

Don't worry -I know what FLHs are, it was only a loose example.
Still don't agree that all horns have to cut at 150Hz though or they automatically sound coloured. Sorry. Particularly if the driver rolls off above this frequency, setting an upper cut off below this point is going to cause problems. Like a big hole in the response for a start. I enjoy the debate though -always good to discuss different approaches.

OzMikeH said:
Steps = diffusion for short wavelengths
steps = same as a curve for longer wavelengths.

the sharp edges and steps significantly reduce the higher frequencies from coming out the horn.

so putting curves in there and routering off the sharp edges is actually a bad thing.

(in response to a post way back on page 17, I'm a bit slow today...)

thank you this makes sense. i will leave it the way it is then.

kind of like the way a pixelated curve looks from close up (short wavelength) or far away (long wavelength)

neutron7 said:

kind of like the way a pixelated curve looks from close up (short wavelength) or far away (long wavelength)

Hmm.. Pixellation... Horns...

Has anyone ever tried to make a horn from Lego?
Ok, now that you have finished laughing, I'm serious, think about this for a little while.

Will the step sizes from the Lego bricks be small enough? there are the thinner flat lego bricks that could be used for the first part of the horn. then the bigger bricks for the later part.
the textured surface may even help (some aircraft have textured skin to reduce drag)
How much would that many lego bricks cost? I'm sure you could get a bulk quantity from Lego at a good price for such an experiment.
It is quite acoustically dead because of all of the many lossy connections between the bricks, it might fall apart after a while.
You may continue laughing now.

"Oh no! My children just built a castle from my speakers"

Probably not as crazy an idea as it looks at first glance. There's certainly art in there, but I reckon 4 sheets of BB ply would be a heck of a lot cheaper. ;)

Hmm. Pixilated curve. Reminds me of the old 'straight curves' exercise I'm sure we were all given in math as children. You know the one x - y grid with ~ 11 points on it on both axis, draw out the lines from the top, to closest horizontal points, move down one & draw out to the next horizontal point & so on. Arguably the eye / brain fooling each other, but...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.