Omnes Audio L8 impressions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2006, 03:02 PM   #1
inrank is offline inrank  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Omnes Audio L8 impressions

i thought i would write a 'basic' review of my new speakers using the Omnes Audio L8 full range driver.

after listening to this for a while, and i guess it has had about 30-40 or so hours running in time, i think either i have got used to the slightly top heavy treble or it has smothened out a bit because it sounds really good now.

i am not sure what i am describing but the mid range, and especially the vocals seem to come out a lot from the speakers and i could swear they were just in front of me, and the actual voices seem very 'live' or real, as if they were in my room not in a padded recording studio.

there is not really any bass (not that i expected any) but seems just right if i am listening late at night and with relaxing music, dont really feel the need for a sub, but i do with louder rock etc.

i do not feel the need for a tweeter although if the treble is a bit to much you could cut it off lower and add a tweeter.

i cant really say much bad about it because for 100 a pair they whip my Kef XQ1's on imaging, dynamics and vocal reproduction (the kefs are better at overall accuracy and bass).

about the actual units, the cone is very stiff and it is very hard to move the cones manually and they hardly move even at ear splitting levels and the woofen phase plug looks very good set against the black cone and the full paper (all-in-one) surround looks very neat.

a rubbish pic of them in my room (obviously they would be aligned for listening )
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th October 2006, 03:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

some more photo's...
Old 25th October 2006, 12:47 AM   #3
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Good to hear a review of these, the FR looks very linear but that's only a first indication (if it's not too fraudulent as with some other speakers), I'm mostly interested in high-mid and treble smoothness for replacing Beyma 8ag/n that have very similar T/S data but some problems. Are the L8 phase plugs attached to the membrane or mounted on the polepiece (with a narrow gap between plug and speaker membrane)? Most manufacturers just glue them on the cone, fast and easy, neglecting more important issues as cone-mass and a-voiding resonant voids...

Simon
Old 25th October 2006, 10:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

the phase plugs do not move so i assume they are attached directley to the magnet at the back as there is a hole in the rear of the magnet and you can see the back of the wooden phase plug and there is a gap between the phase plug at the front and the voice coil.
Old 25th October 2006, 11:36 AM   #5
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

for more bass mounting them in "das viech" could be an idea?
Old 25th October 2006, 11:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

is than not a horn? and dont the L8's have a too high QTS? (and i am using them with a sub so bass isnt a problem)
Old 25th October 2006, 01:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes, it's a horn, and I can't see this driver working too well in it with a Q of over 1.0. Having said that, Vas is pretty low, so it's not impossible that it could be used (horns do not automatically require low Q drivers) but it would have to be designed around it from scratch.
Old 25th October 2006, 05:03 PM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

FWIW, based on published specs, Professor Leach's math suggests a 61.75 Hz Fc:

Vr = 148.63"^3
St = 42.04"^2
Am = 1891.77"^2
Am (min.) = 945.89"^2
M = 0.857 with an inital 3.54" long straight section and use a horn program to find its expansion length based on desired mouth area.

GM
Old 25th October 2006, 06:09 PM   #9
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

I have been asking myself for a while whether the Viech would work, since TSPs of Omnes an Beyma are very similar. I hope someone will try one day.
Old 25th October 2006, 07:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Greg -are we talking the 'On the Specifications' paper here? I really should re-read that.

Hide this!Advertise here!