Fostex FE126e in OB? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2006, 05:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex FE126e in OB?

I was told that the 126e's sound great in OB for jazz and classical music is this true? I just ordered a pair and was wondering about what type of box to use.How long does madisound take to ship?
Old 24th October 2006, 05:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default 126e

it is a nice driver.

the "Oh my god" range to my ear happens in the "middle" midrange zone. where the 103e has "oh my god" happening in the upper midrange frequencies and 83e being even more of a "treble" driver.

it is the least "tame" sounding (yet most dynamic) of the whizzerless standard series from fostex. it is still very nice. IMO. especially for the money...

I have tried it in a decently reinforced cardboard open baffle. next to no bass. nice and open everything else. I would recommend a box. seems to be good comments on the recommended enclosure (though complecated), I like mine in the BIBs where they permanently reside. (search BIB forum, and zilla's website) Like all the fostex banana stuff, they take a REALLY long time to break in. the bass most noticably changed on my pair.

126e in a big version BIB with a t-amp = 30-20k well balanced for 200 bucks.

madisound ships in a week.

there are also others on this forum who have far more experience with this driver and will be able to help you more perhaps.

it is a very popular driver in the u.s. the 103e seems to be correspondingly popular in japan.

Clark
Old 24th October 2006, 07:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Use it on an OB with a bass helper such as the Eminence Beta 15" driver... cross over at about 250 - 300Hz. Connect the drivers in series and use a cap across the Emdriver and an inductor across the 126e.

Makwe the baffle about 1300mm high and 500mm wide. Lean the baffle back by 5-8 degrees. Makes a base 450-500mm deep and make side wings that go in a straight line from the top of the baffle to the back of the base plate. Mount the Em 100-150mm off the floor and the 126 at about 750-800mm high. You will then have an OB that is flat to 40Hz and extends up as far as the fostex will allow..

James
Old 24th October 2006, 08:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

A long way.

If Nick's 167 based version of your OB I heard a few weeks back is anything to go by (crosses over about 70Hz lower I believe James) this will be an impressive system.
Old 24th October 2006, 09:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yeah the 167 Nick uses goes down further than 126 will... a 127 goes a little further down but its not critical to the sound of the beastie...

I'm building a 127e based version that is about 2/3rds the size of the big beastie as its for a small flat, it uses a Beyma 8" bass helper and is flat to about 80Hz which is all my son needs

ciao
James
Old 24th October 2006, 10:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Nice. Pity we can't get Dave's phase plugs in the FE12xE series drivers. Still, can't have everything. Try damping the magnet if you haven't already -makes a heck of a difference by itself. With some cone damping at strategic points the things give the Sigma a fright for about half the price.
Old 24th October 2006, 03:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thank's for all the info guys.You guys seem to be the most knowledgable as one guy on A'gon suggested to use the FE126e in OB with no helper woofer and claimed the bass would be fine for jazz and classical.I don't like the idea of X-overs so I will try a double BR box for them.Dont the 127 and the 126 bth have Fs of 70hz? If so how does the 127 go deeper? Sorry this is my first expirience with Fostex drivers.
Old 24th October 2006, 04:15 PM   #8
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

If someone ever writes a phrase like "bass will be fine for jazz and classical", that generally means he doesn't actually listen to jazz or classical.

I mean, large-scale symphonic is some of the most difficult material to resolve in the bass frequencies. And organ music, fuggedaboutit.

I find it a really ignorant -- but common -- idea, that people who listen to jazz and/or classical wouldn't want full spectrum sound reproduction.

[/rant]
Old 24th October 2006, 04:21 PM   #9
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audiophile36
I don't like the idea of X-overs so I will try a double BR box for them.
Ha ha, here's my second pet peeve.

If you reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally don't like crossovers, then run the 126 full-range on open baffle, and simply run the bass drivers with an active low-pass filter. That way, your 126 drivers are "pure".

If you are concerned with correct phase alignment, however, you would use an active crossover between the bass and full-range drivers.

If you are indeed concerned with correct phase alignment, furthermore, the last thing you would want to do is put the drivers in a vented cabinet, as phasing between the driver and the vent outputs is really messy.
Old 24th October 2006, 04:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

http://www.zillaspeak.com/fostex127eSSB.asp

I really like the 127e in just about anything you can put it in. Its limitations are bass and an excitability that many of the mods apparently address (dammar, etc…). Recently a music lover friend was at my home listening to them and commented the sound was really warm… they can sound warm up against the wall and without a tweeter.

SI amp and Fostex 127e = great sound (regardless of price!)

Never tried them in an open baffle but expect a powered sub of choice would blend beautifully… without the sub I’d guess they’d be light in the bass.

Peace,
Godzilla

Hide this!Advertise here!