TABAQ TL for Tangband

Slowly I continue building the speaker enclosure. I had to do little modifications but nothing important.
I attached a picture for you to see :) . I think it'll be closed on sunday evening.

Best regards
Sven

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 2,331
Just in time :D.

It is finished though it is not painted and veneered yet. It is playing with my needles now and doesn't sound that bad. The port is pointed upwards because of the cable. In the living room it will be directed to the bottom. I attached a picture of the center and a quick frequency response. Because I have no calibrated microphone I will have to measure again compared to the needle. So I can have a result that is relative to a known loudspeaker ;).
I will post a drawing in the next days if someone wants to build this one too. It was very easy and the result is okay.
I should mention that my center doesn't have any correction circuit by now. This will be added as soon as I have the time to make some measurements at a friend of mine.

Best regards
Sven

Attachments

• IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    965.3 KB · Views: 2,126
  • TABAQ_F-Gang.jpg
    TABAQ_F-Gang.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 2,016
Hello again,

I did some more measures with holmimpulse. I did try a correction circuit with 3.5 Ohm and 1.2 mH but I didn't get a result that's pleasing me. So I still have some work to do :D.
Any way, I attached the frequency response of the TABAQ-Center with and without the correction circuit against the Needle RS. The microphone was on axis in 1m distance. I added a small piece of wood behind the center to get some reflection out of the port.
It isn't so bad compared to the Needle but I think it could be a little better :) . In the vocal frequency range (I think that is most important for a center) it is nearly on point with the needle.

@Bjørn: I'm interested in your progress with your TABAQ-center. Is there anything new?

Greets
Sven

P.S.: I didn't forget the drawings but at the moment I have little time as I have to do a documentation for another loudspeaker first (D'Appollito with two TMT and a full range driver)

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 1,902
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 1,803
  • TABAQ_vs_Needle.jpg
    TABAQ_vs_Needle.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
A short update:

The drawing ;) . Don't be confused as the naming of the parts is in german. There are no dimensions for the pocket for the TB as this is an individual choice of the speaker. And as far as the 1320SJ is concerned you definitely need a template for the milling.

TABAQ-Center Drawing

Best regards
Sven

P.S.: I currently have problems with the attachments. As soon as I'm able to I'll add the drawing as an attachment.

Well, I have another substantial question.
The design is ~85 cm tall, so even with the driver mounted higher than recommended it isn't very practical. A 55Hz wave is around 1,5 meter long but we can reduce it thanks to stuffing and mass loading by a narrower port, right?
The w4-1320 resonances probably aren't as hard as with the smaller driver due to lower Qts, so maybe I could resign from mass loading and just build a higher tower? How high could it be then?

My center project is nearly finished. I moved the center from my workshop to the living room to do some measuring. I modified my micro-stand because of an 18 kHz peak but it is still there. So I am still searching the reason for this.
I attached the measures (red = original, blue = 1,1 mH parallel to 3,3 Ohm circuit, above them a near field measure <1 cm) and the pictures of the center in my living room. I need to measure a little more to "tune" the circuit right but this will come with time. I removed on piece of sonofil and it is much better in lower frequencies than before.
Im quite happy with the result. I listened to it in mono and it is quite good with different music styles. From Siris Slave Band to Nils Lofgren, from Yello to Metallica, from Mussorgsky to Oscar Peterson Trio - all are handled very good. There is enough bass for such a small loudspeaker - I think it is capable of more than being a center speaker. :D
If you're searching for a small center speaker then this one should be on your list ;).

Greets
Sven

Attachments

• tabaqcenterfrequenzgang_158388.jpg
    tabaqcenterfrequenzgang_158388.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_1731.JPG
    IMG_1731.JPG
    970.6 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Hi Sven, nice work !
I have finished my folded TABAQ BOX, and it is doing very well down to 45 Hz. It is really amazing what you can get out of this small driver.
TABQ BOX can be placed in any direction as long as the opening is not blocked.
The cabinet is made by 12 mm MDF, except the sides which is 9 mm plywood and 3 mm black acryl. Looks very nice according to my wife. :D

The acrylic sides are gorgeous, and it sure beats filling, sanding, priming, lacquering, sanding some more, lacquering again, sanding again, letting it sit for a couple of weeks, clear lacquering, letting it sit for a month, sanding, rubbing out the finish, rubbing out the finish, rubbing out the finish, etc. ;) Piano black in one easy step!

I did some more measuring and simulated some correction circuits in Boxsim.
Attached are the frequency responses under different angles (and at my preferred listening position "Hörplatz")
and the last version of the simulated correction circuit. Suggestions concerning the circuit are welcome as I'm
a rookie in this item ;) .

Regards
Sven

Attachments

• tabaq_alle_messungen.jpg
    tabaq_alle_messungen.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 1,370
  • tabaq_0_bis_45_grad.jpg
    tabaq_0_bis_45_grad.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 1,303
  • tabaq_hörplatz.jpg
    tabaq_hörplatz.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 1,289
  • TABAQ_neue_Weiche_V2.jpg
    TABAQ_neue_Weiche_V2.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 1,272
I did some more measuring and simulated some correction circuits in Boxsim.
Attached are the frequency responses under different angles (and at my preferred listening position "Hörplatz")
and the last version of the simulated correction circuit. Suggestions concerning the circuit are welcome as I'm
a rookie in this item ;) .

Regards
Sven

Can't comment technically as I'm even more of a rookie, so: Good work, and quite inspiring. Thanks for posting.

Hi Sven, nice work !
I have finished my folded TABAQ BOX, and it is doing very well down to 45 Hz. It is really amazing what you can get out of this small driver.
TABQ BOX can be placed in any direction as long as the opening is not blocked.
The cabinet is made by 12 mm MDF, except the sides which is 9 mm plywood and 3 mm black acryl. Looks very nice according to my wife. :D

Hi,

Which driver are you using in this particular build?

It is Tang Band W3-315SC which i used in the first TABAQ. These cabinets has been "upgrated" to W4-1320SA.

Both 3" and 4" can be used in TABAQ and TABAQ BOX without any changes.

I have a pair of 3" TB drivers with the following specs:

Frequency range: 100-18,000 Hz
Fs: 100 Hz
SPL: 85 dB 1W/1m
Vas: 0.04 cu. ft.
Qms: 4.77
Qes: 0.72
Qts: 0.62
Xmax: 1.5 mm
Impedance: 8 ohms
Re: 5.98 ohms
Le: 0.44 mH

Thinking of bookshelf type design - a folded Tabaq might work?:scratch:- How tall is the folded cab?

Thx.