TABAQ TL for Tangband

Posting some impressions of my tabaqs. I'm using tang band w3-1364's from a project that never materialized. And they're powered by a Scott 335r receiver. I had these built and playing in my office for appx 6 months, always (at least until everyone leaves) played at low to moderate volume. They've always sounded good. They never seemed to take much power tho. Occasionally I would have look at them in surprise, as they'll hit low notes very well. In order to get more bass (I mean in your face, chest thumping bass), which I'm accustomed to, I built a small subwoofer with a Dayton nd-105. The sub doesn't add more bass, but just was there to fill out the bass a bit. WELL, today, out of the blue, these puppies opened up, outta nowhere. The sound just blossomed. Bass and midrange especially. And to think, about a week ago, I got some w4-1052's to stick in them, to make them sound bigger. I'm going to put the newspapers in another design, because I don't need to fiddle with the tabaqs any more! This is the second set of speakers ive built that's done this to me. But after six months? This DIY speaker thing still blows me away. My wife thinks I'm crazy!

I did some calculations with the original TABAQ in Akabak but I'm lost somewhere :confused: . I attached pictures of my calculations with various drivers (W3-315SC, W4-1320SJ, W4-655C). First without baffle (looks not so bad) but then with baffle ... very bad. (Expect the unexpected :D ...) Seems I made some mistakes with the baffle integration in Akabak
I also attached the Skript for the W3-315SC variant as .zip-file. Maybe someone has a little time to look at it and point me to the right direction.

Why do I do this? Because I want to use the W4-655C in the TABAQ Center (I have it in Cyburgs Sticks and the center will accompany them) and I want to modify the port. So my intention was to model the original TABAQ, then add the 655C, turn the port to the rear (center) and then the port modification (to the downside and cross section). Learning step by step so to say :)

Attachments

• TABAQ_Freq_Down.jpg
    TABAQ_Freq_Down.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 476
  • TABAQ_Freq_Baffle.jpg
    TABAQ_Freq_Baffle.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 453
  • tabaq315.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 77
I had an idea that could help me with turning the port to the downside. I switched height and depth of the tube so it is now 128 mm high and 100 mm deep. This way I was able to keep all the measures and to turn the port to the downside :D .
On the other hand I'm still interested in solving the Akabak problem I posted earlier :).

A picture of the Center with port down and the W4-655C is attached (simple rendering).

Attachments

• TABAQ_Center_rendered.jpg
    TABAQ_Center_rendered.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 486
w4 1052sd

I got some w4-1052's to stick in them, to make them sound bigger.

I just finished mine with the w1052sd's (still just raw mdf for the moment)- sounds pretty good, looking foward to how they sound once broken in a bit!

Just for fun I hooked them up with my John Blue 3 speakers sitting on top of each TABAQ in series with my pop pulse 70i tamp (tri path amp) that has a 'decent' amount of power - and put on Robin Trower's Bridge of Signs album, sounded so warm with a huge sound stage, just loved it, they seem to combine really well together, I dont really want to take the jb3's off!.

Just got a new stylis today so really looking foward to trying them out with vinyl tonight

Thanks Bj for the design!

OK, thanks for the info.

For the last few days I've been studying rules of TL design , and I'm curious about one thing in your folded version. As much as I understand it line's lenght and port area must remain constant, so following this rule could the enclosure be made lower but deeper if I moved the port opening to the front?
Line would form an "L" but my main concern is whether both vertical and horizontal parts of it would contribute to calculated lenght.

A little update on my TABAQ:

I chose the W4-1320SIF over the W4-655C because the calculations of the 1320 look better especially in low frequencies. The wood for the enclosure is already prepared to be "transformed" to a folded TABAQ ;) . The 1320 is on its way to me but has not yet arrived.
Because of Xmas I have to be patient as my wife told me to wait with building the speaker til 28th of december :(.

Hi Milus, you can change the depth and with as long as the cross section (m2) remains the same.
In a folded line, the lenght is measured by a "line" in the middle of the line in the fold.

General: The line does not have to be be straight. Tge TABAQ opening is in fact a part of the line but much more narrow.

My "Invisible Sub" has several dimensions. First a "chamber" with the driver, then a line with 3 different cross sections.

Hi form
Bjorn

Great thanks for the replies, now I have somewhat more confidence in making my own folded version.
I plan to make a box around 35 cm high, 30 cm deep and 10 cm wide (wall thickness not included). With some folds it should give ~93 cm of Line. Considering where they'll be standing I can't really go for other dimensions. So much for theory. Tommorow I'll make first cuts.

Ylhao, how low do you tune the W4-1320 driver?