TABAQ TL for Tang Band - Page 64 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2013, 04:51 PM   #631
vincula is offline vincula  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
It's a 1-way (single driver) speaker so there is no crossover. Do you mean a shelving filter? The values should be adapted to the driver impedance.
http://www.quarter-wave.com/General/BSC_Calculator.xls
Loudspeaker Diffraction Loss and Baffle Step Compensation Circuits
Sorry, mate. That's what I meant. Spaniard living in DK and writing in English. Can be pretty challenging sometimes

Thanks for the links!

Regards,

Vincula
Old 14th November 2013, 05:39 PM   #632
diyAudio Member

Trust me, you do a heck of a lot better than me. I only know enough English to scrape by on, let alone any other languages. Which, humour aside, I'm deeply ashamed about TBH. I really should make a proper attempt to learn one of my ancestral Norse languages (in my case Norwegian & Swedish).
Old 14th November 2013, 11:20 PM   #633
Squeak is online now Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincula View Post
Hello,

I am considering building a pair of Tabaq's to try. Well, Bjrn doesn't live far from here (jeg bor ogs p Frederiksberg, Squeak ) ,so that's always a plus.
Maybe we should do a makerlab for speaker builders? ;-) I met a surprising lot of people doing FR speakers just in Frederiksberg (well perhaps not that surprising it is one of the most densely populated spots in Northern Europe). I don't think Labitat around the corner is crazy about sawdust and routers near surfacemount electronics and 3d printers.
That said, I'm grateful for my small warm workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linaudio View Post
Hi everyone, thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my TABAQ that I'm gonna use as center channel in my living room. The driver is the TB W4-1320SIF. I have a couple of normal TABAQs with TB W3-881SI, which sound good for its price, but the W4 makes it a much more capable speaker. Louder, cleaner, and with more bass. No filter yet, will play it for a while and see how it works out.
Very nice work, but why not put the port on the back and get more loading from the wall? It's obviously meant to be placed on a bench or under a tv close to the wall, but not on the floor as with the TABAQ.
Also you could put the driver on the side, hang it on the wall and get free bafflestep. In fact, put everything on the wall, who needs a tv stand anyway? ;-)

Last edited by Squeak; 14th November 2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 15th November 2013, 10:20 AM   #634
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Very nice work, but why not put the port on the back and get more loading from the wall? It's obviously meant to be placed on a bench or under a tv close to the wall, but not on the floor as with the TABAQ.
Also you could put the driver on the side, hang it on the wall and get free bafflestep. In fact, put everything on the wall, who needs a tv stand anyway? ;-)
Thanks

It is to be placed on a shelf under the TV where there is no space to the sides or behind, so only option was on the front.

Hidden behind the TV is no bad idea though. Right now the shelf it sits on is a bit lower than I ideally would have liked, but its a visual compromise. Tempting to give it a try....
Old 15th November 2013, 09:20 PM   #635
diyAudio Member

Hi Linaudio

Nice done ! I like that the opening is close to the driver, which is the best location of the port according to simulations with MJKs models.
Old 16th November 2013, 12:10 AM   #636
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjohannesen View Post
Hi Linaudio

Nice done ! I like that the opening is close to the driver, which is the best location of the port according to simulations with MJKs models.
Funny that. It goes contrary to the conventional wisdom about placement of ports and mouths. You'd think rippling would be an issue, as well as not using the shape of the room to it's fullest. Any thoughts?
Old 16th November 2013, 12:57 AM   #637
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincula View Post
Sorry, mate. That's what I meant. Spaniard living in DK and writing in English. Can be pretty challenging sometimes

Thanks for the links!

Regards,

Vincula
Que confusin!!!! Know how you feel...
Old 18th November 2013, 05:18 PM   #638
ashnono is offline ashnono  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, i'm halfway through making my folded tabaq. I'm ordering my Mark audio CHR70's tomorrow to try. Shall I stick with the BSC quoted in the plans? Also are there any good tips to fixing the front on without the use of screws? I've only made PA speakers in the past so aesthetics weren't important.
Old 18th November 2013, 08:03 PM   #639
diyAudio Member

Default Just finished a tabaq

I have put the Tangband W4-132 in it. First with BSC, but now without I like the sound more. Because the speaker are in close to the wall, and because I have used enough stuffing, the bass is oke. Put some pictures soon.
Old 18th November 2013, 10:27 PM   #640
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnono View Post
Hi, i'm halfway through making my folded tabaq. I'm ordering my Mark audio CHR70's tomorrow to try. Shall I stick with the BSC quoted in the plans? Also are there any good tips to fixing the front on without the use of screws? I've only made PA speakers in the past so aesthetics weren't important.
The MA drivers have build in baffle compensation, so if you push the cab into a corner or against a wall you should be good.

Mark recommends not using filters between the amp and the driver.

But joints, wood glue and clamps works fine if you are using 12 mm and above material.
It is important that the cab is airtight apart from the port for good bass. So don't skimp on the glue.
A 3 cm paper thin gap or a number of smaller gaps, is enough to make a difference.
If you don't have enough clamps or they are not the correct length, conic head screws combined with glue can be a good alternative.
You just need to make sure to have enough material for the screws to bite safely into. So 16 mm is minimum. Also be sure to pre-drill and make the small "funnel" concavity where the screw head will sink in, to avoid splitting.

Last edited by Squeak; 18th November 2013 at 10:34 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!