TABAQ TL for Tang Band - Page 59 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2013, 11:15 AM   #581
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Really.

Not knowing anything else I can't see how it's unusual at all to mention in passing the overall resemblance of the lineup when it's so blatant.

The outward apperance/topology of the two cabs being so similar there are limits to how different the insides can be. Perhaps "inspired" by FH3 would be a nicer way of putting it.

And harping? Really? Isn't this a bit below your usual standard? You are effectively doing the harping by making me clarify all the time.
And yes, we are distracting from Bjørns thread, so let's just stop now.
Old 31st August 2013, 11:39 AM   #582
diyAudio Member

congratulations Bjorn! I confess I still havent built your Tabac for my Alpair 5, but i plan to build soon (and also Henkjans desktop TL). Best of luck!
Old 31st August 2013, 11:42 AM   #583
diyAudio Member

That's because you're continuing to post inaccurate remarks, obliging me to correct them.

It probably was inspired by FH3 in general shape, but whatever you might like to think, it does not have the same internal configuration or loading scheme. I don't know how I can be any clearer. Or are you calling me a liar?
Old 21st September 2013, 12:37 PM   #584
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

So how are things going Bjørn? I'm kind of curious about when I can buy these and how they look. :-)
What driver did you use and what formfactor/mounting?
Old 24th September 2013, 05:42 AM   #585
diyAudio Member

Hi Squeak

We are now putting the last productions bits in place. The name is Kvart & Bølge, which means (you already know) quarter and wave. We will be on kickstarter in a few weeks and you can find us at fb.

Which driver we are using will be a trade secret for now.

The driver is mounted 8 inch from the top (internally) which is 2 inch higher up than the original design. For a long period of time, I have recommended TABAQ builders to use this offset. It looks nicer, and it has a (very little, though) positive impact on the frequency. Furthermore the driver will be closer to ear hight. Is also means that the folded version of TABAQ can be mounted with the driver in the middle of the front baffle.

Hi from
Bjorn
Old 7th October 2013, 04:16 PM   #586
diyAudio Member

Default W-1320 in folded version

Bjorn, Can you tell me if the Tangband W4-1320SIF is possible in the folded version. I intend to make a version with 15 mm mdf. So the baffle will be wider for some mm. Is that wide enough for the round version of the 4# speaker?
And will it be worth the extra cost?

I hope you have some time to answer. Good luck with your commercial version.

Fred
Old 7th October 2013, 06:54 PM   #587
sayrum is offline sayrum  Germany
diyAudio Member

Good evening,
i'm tempted to try the Tabaq with the TB W3-315se or the Vifa TG9F D10.
I want to use them as desk top speakers -> nearfeld, low volumes sufficient.
Smooth sound + detailed hf wanted.

Which driver is preferable?

I modeled a folded version of the Tabaq for the W3-315se

Click the image to open in full size.

Line: 76.2cm (30 inch) length, 128 cm2 diameter
Port: 8cm (3.15 inch) length, 16cm2 diameter (0.65 inches shorter than original build due to 3 adjacent walls at the entrance of port which act as a virtual extension)

I'm not sure if my calculation of line length is correct, the upper part (behind driver) seems strange, so much free space due to folding...
What do the experts say?

Regards

Last edited by sayrum; 7th October 2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 7th October 2013, 09:54 PM   #588
diyAudio Member

Hi Fred, the front baffle should be wide enough for the Tang Band 1320 SIF. You can mount the driver in the middle, if you want. Or you can turn the cabinet with the opening down and put is on a small foot.

In the straight TABAQ you can mount the driver 2 inch higher - the same as mounting the driver in the middle in the folded version.

For the 4 inch Tang Band you can use less stuffing: 70 gram. I am using Tang Band 4 inch 1320 round version in the straight version of TABAQ.

Bjørn

Last edited by Bjohannesen; 7th October 2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 7th October 2013, 10:03 PM   #589
diyAudio Member

Hi Sayrum, you could try my design, which has less wasted space.

http://www.coolcat.dk/bjoern/TABAQ%2...et%20build.pdf

I know the Vifa would do great in TABAQ, but I have never listened to this driver.

In my folded TABAQ I have TB W3-315SE and I am very pleased with the sound and performance of this driver. For near field you should use baffle step compensation, in my folded TABAQ there is an "apartment" for the coil / resistor filter.

Hi

Bjørn
Old 7th October 2013, 10:24 PM   #590
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayrum View Post
Good evening,
i'm tempted to try the Tabaq with the TB W3-315se or the Vifa TG9F D10.
I want to use them as desk top speakers -> nearfeld, low volumes sufficient.
Smooth sound + detailed hf wanted.

Which driver is preferable?

I modeled a folded version of the Tabaq for the W3-315se

Click the image to open in full size.

Line: 76.2cm (30 inch) length, 128 cm2 diameter
Port: 8cm (3.15 inch) length, 16cm2 diameter (0.65 inches shorter than original build due to 3 adjacent walls at the entrance of port which act as a virtual extension)

I'm not sure if my calculation of line length is correct, the upper part (behind driver) seems strange, so much free space due to folding...
What do the experts say?

Regards
You don't need to have the funny notch there, adjust the TL length a few inches longer and it doesn't hurt. You may need a slightly shorter vent but that can be calculated using the new volume. I have gone off design from the tabaq for the tc9fd and it works great. Try the AMLTL technique to size your box and vent. It works well for the tc9fd.

Hide this!Advertise here!