TABAQ TL for Tang Band - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2006, 09:00 AM   #41
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Delta = 20*log(D port / D woofer)

is the same as

Delta=10*log(D port / D woofer)^2
Old 16th November 2006, 12:54 PM   #42
VadimB is offline VadimB  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Delta = 20*log(D port / D woofer)

is the same as

Delta=10*log(D port / D woofer)^2
This is what happens when you start to doubt yourself!

The formula in the first post I've derived on a piece of paper myself. Then, yesterday, while measuring my new speaker (check out the time of yesterday's post ) I checked it in the book and all I saw was a different formula.

Obviously, they are mathematically the same. The way it's written in the first post makes more sense from the Physics point of view though. Thanks for giving self-confidence back to me, Henkjan!

Sorry again for confusions,

VadimB
Old 3rd March 2007, 12:50 PM   #43
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

Bjorn,

Congratulations on getting your TABAQ design in the March 2007 AudioXpress.

-Ken
Old 19th March 2007, 03:31 AM   #44
JonTee is offline JonTee  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Slightly modded TABAQ's

Hi Bjorn,

Thankyou for posting your plans so well on pdf. This was my second diy project; the well explained theory and construction was appreciated.

I took the liberty of making the TABAQ's that I constructed 30 cm's taller, with a false bottom filled with sand to raise the drivers to ear level. Also, I used 18 mm birch ply in place of the 12 mm increasing the dims accordingly. The driver is the TB W3 315d that was available at PartsExpress. Nice driver with cast aluminum frame. Just finished them this afternoon and currently letting the drivers run in for a while. They already sound excellent.

Here's some pics of construction:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tabaq pics 004.jpg (37.3 KB, 2754 views)
Old 19th March 2007, 03:31 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Another picture of construction:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tabaq pics 002.jpg (46.1 KB, 2777 views)
Old 19th March 2007, 03:43 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

John Tee,

I did the same idea with a BIB.

And for some time I've been looking at the TABAQ for use with
a pair of WS 871's.

My observation is on the stuffing. Doesn't such quantity muffle
the backwave output significantly? Several treatments I have done
with the WS 871 have not been satisfactory.

I will look forward to your reactions to the new build.
Old 19th March 2007, 07:36 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Hi Ken,

thanks for the nice words

JonTee, I like your false bottom. I have done som simulations to see if I could make a taller version of TABAQ, but has no solution yet.

My idea was to mount the cabinet on the wall with a light bulb between the cabinet and the wall. I have done this with other contructions and it looks very nice.

loninappleton, the stuffing density is high, which is neccesary for the 3" TB drivers as they have a very high Qts. If you put your ear to the opening, you will hear that the sound is not killed at all.

Hi from Bjorn
Old 20th March 2007, 11:42 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Hi Lon,

"My observation is on the stuffing. Doesn't such quantity muffle"

I tried the speakers without stuffing and the bass output went down to my ears. Also they were peaky sounding. Using the stuffing appeared to me to bring back the bass and smoothed out the response. I know what you mean about the stuffing "muffling" as my 1st project was the Cyburg Needles (with the W3 871's) which I originally had put to much stuffing in, and that did attenuate the sound to the point of making them sound nasally. After lightening up the stuffed front chamber the sound improved dramatically. On TABAQ I have left the top unglued (weighted down presently), so I can adjust the stuffing if necessary (I did weigh it as close as I could get to .23 lbs.).

"I have done som simulations to see if I could make a taller version of TABAQ, but has no solution yet."

Bjorn, where do the simulations show alterations in the TABAQ's performance when they are made taller, or the port raised up from the floor? Just curious. At some point I will get the software and equipment necessary, to measure these responses, however, presently measurements will be made subjectively with our older ears (wife and I) and younger family members when they visit.

In addition, the sand in the false bottom seems to be necessary, as bass response was less and more cabinet resonance was noticed when the chamber was left empty (cabinet clamped up for subjective test).

I hope to have the speakers inside (presently in my garage) today and will post some impressions.

Jon
Old 20th March 2007, 08:04 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Hi Jon, I appreciate your interest.

I did not keep copies of the alternate TABAQ designs, but the enclosure alternatives I tried had problems withuneven reponse.

I did not try to move the opening, however.

Please note that TABAQ is just a straight, mass loaded TL. Instead of using a tube as port like in a bass reflex, the port is an integrated part of the cabinet.

The volume is quite big compared to the driver. This was done to increase the bass performance and thereby compensate for the hard stuffing which of course attenaute the contribution from the opening.

Remember to use the BSC with TABAQ, by the way. I use 1.0 mH in parallel with 3.9 ohm. These values was found using Martin J King´s software, and it sure makes the speaker more ear-friendly.

I would recomend you got hold of Martin J King´s software, so you can go further with the design.

I have some other design ideas with the TB drivers, using a coupling chamber and a sort of tapered line. This works well in my subs at home, simualations will show if it also can be used for full range speakers.

Looking forward to your feed back, both the negative and the positive issues.

Hi from Bjorn
Old 20th March 2007, 10:54 PM   #50
Solve is offline Solve  Sweden
diyAudio Member

This is the best-easybuilt speaker with Tangband W3-871 or
like mine W4-1320!
Period!

Just build it and listen!!
Im the only one?

Solve

Hide this!Advertise here!