Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2012, 10:07 PM   #471
diyAudio Member

Default celestion 5"

1.13mm is one way movement. This looks better and better but what about fitting it into the enclosure??
Old 26th November 2012, 09:58 AM   #472
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyhooker View Post
1.13mm is one way movement. This looks better and better but what about fitting it into the enclosure??
IF you want to use this in Tabaq:
Bjohanessen made the Tabaq cross section equal to 4 x Sd so you may have to make cabinet slightly bigger. The vent cross section may have to be calculated again though. What about the upper freq being only 12 kHz - is that enough for you?

If you want to use this for the wall hanging tml it is not as critical, model with hornresp if you have time but I think it would work fine as is since the dimensions are very wide.
Old 26th November 2012, 08:22 PM   #473
diyAudio Member

Hi xrk071
Ypu can alter the dimensions (with and depth) of the TABAQ as long as the cross section is the same, e.g. make it wider and not so deep. The port opening has to be lower to maintain the same area.
Just reading the specs, I would expect this driver to do just fine.
Hi from
Bjorn
Old 27th November 2012, 10:04 AM   #474
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjohannesen View Post
Hi xrk071
Ypu can alter the dimensions (with and depth) of the TABAQ as long as the cross section is the same, e.g. make it wider and not so deep. The port opening has to be lower to maintain the same area.
Just reading the specs, I would expect this driver to do just fine.
Hi from
Bjorn
Bjohanessen,
Can this design be taken to the limit of very wide, a flat box for wall mount, say 2.38 in deep x 8.34 in wide to maintain same area? Thus the speaker can skip BSC as there is essentially no baffle step? One thing I like to do with single driver designs is to avoid adding anything between the amp and driver electronically. This will boost available amp power too. What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Xrk971
Old 27th November 2012, 12:46 PM   #475
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I've been thinking exactly the same. It would get the driver up to any hight you'd want and would make BSC redundant. Toe-in could be handled with four hinges to swing it slightly out from the wall, if necessary.
You could invert them, put the port on the top, closest towards the wall and get wall and ceiling loading to further enhance the bass (like a BIB).
Old 27th November 2012, 01:35 PM   #476
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
I've been thinking exactly the same. It would get the driver up to any hight you'd want and would make BSC redundant. Toe-in could be handled with four hinges to swing it slightly out from the wall, if necessary.
You could invert them, put the port on the top, closest towards the wall and get wall and ceiling loading to further enhance the bass (like a BIB).
I did something similar to this with my wall hanging TL suggested by Sayrum by flipping it upside down and resting it on a shelf (a mini refrigerator actually) with ports firing up at ceiling. The shelf puts the drivers at ear height. The bass rocks with this configuration! I still have yet to try the TABAQ in a full size and am thinking a wall mount makes sense for me as I have no floor space for a speaker.
Old 19th December 2012, 06:43 PM   #477
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

Would anyone happen to know if the Tang Band W5-1611SAF 5" full range would work as well in the TABAQ folded horn as well as the bamboo 4"'s do? Would a larger box scale up ok?
Mario
Old 19th December 2012, 06:47 PM   #478
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

Correction: TABAQ is a folded TL, not a folded horn....
Old 19th December 2012, 06:55 PM   #479
diyAudio Member

That looks like a nice driver. Bjohanessen will have to confirm, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You need rpto grow cabinet dimensions to get cross sectional area at least 4 x Sd. Usually w 3 in driver a high Qts is needed to pull out lower bass but this driver already gets to 60 hz.
Old 19th December 2012, 08:02 PM   #480
diyAudio Member

Hi Mario I will come back to you when I am off-Android :-)
The 4" works well in my TABAQ. You could use 70g stuffing iso 100g and also place the speaker 5cm higher up.
I have designed - but not build - TABAQ LARGE for TB5"
Hi

Hide this!Advertise here!