Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2012, 01:44 AM   #451
jhutka is offline jhutka  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Squeak,

You're right, copper or brass would have looked better. I just used what I had on hand.

I can construct a box that will sound good. However, I need help in woodworking skills to make a box that looks good too. Planning on the technical end comes easily for me but not aesthetics.

Also, after I test the boxes by just clamping the last side to the cabinet, I tend to get impatient. I want to use them as soon as possible.

Maybe applying a little ZEN to the craft would help.

JH
Old 14th November 2012, 08:30 AM   #452
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Are the specs of the Viva TC9FD (paper cone) really the same as the TG9FD (fiberglass cone)? Has anyone listened to both and can comment? The photos of the fiberglass variant (like Jhutka's) look really nice compared to black paper.
Old 18th November 2012, 10:42 AM   #453
diyAudio Member

I finally got to listen to the paper cone Vifa's in a wall hanging stereo TL and they sound fantastic. I will be getting more of these for use in a TABAQ. The wall hanging speakers are described here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/const...ml#post3246133

Last edited by xrk971; 18th November 2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 21st November 2012, 03:47 PM   #454
diyAudio Member

Default TC9FD Paper vs Fibre glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Are the specs of the Viva TC9FD (paper cone) really the same as the TG9FD (fiberglass cone)? Has anyone listened to both and can comment? The photos of the fiberglass variant (like Jhutka's) look really nice compared to black paper.
I believe earlier in the thread the author said they Sim quite differently and He advised the Fibre Glass version be used. I have used the paper cone variety in small closed boxes for computer sound and they are quite good considering the $11 price paid for each.
Old 21st November 2012, 04:10 PM   #455
diyAudio Member

Default TC9FD choice

Looking at the specs on these drivers the fibre glass unit is rated at 10 watts RMS. The alternate is a 20-30 watt device. Reviewers at the Parts Express site say both sound good but the one is handicapped by its low power handling. One reviwer includes a picture of DIY 13litre tower with the paper version installed and gives it high praise!!
Old 21st November 2012, 10:41 PM   #456
jhutka is offline jhutka  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Sandy and XRK,

Got a pair of the TG9FD18-08s thinking the same, since Parts Ex had them for sale. Bjorn corrected me, and I went to the Fiberglass 10-04s. Planning to place the 18-08s into BIB cabinets.

JH

Last edited by jhutka; 21st November 2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 22nd November 2012, 07:33 AM   #457
sayrum is offline sayrum  Germany
diyAudio Member

I use the paper cone Version in a tml, thanks to the very wide baffel, no correction requiered. The Fiber glass version is supposed to be not better in Sound but more expensive. It does have very differt Tsp parameters.
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:20 AM   #458
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayrum View Post
I use the paper cone Version in a tml, thanks to the very wide baffel, no correction requiered. The Fiber glass version is supposed to be not better in Sound but more expensive. It does have very differt Tsp parameters.
I tried your flat wall tml design in a stereo setup and really like it. You are right that no BSC is needed (as there is no baffle step). This is a great advantage in keeping costs down as inductors and resistors for $12 driver are a significant expense and rob amplifier power. The paper cone version seems to be a much better buy given the higher power rating and better high end frequency response.
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:03 PM   #459
sayrum is offline sayrum  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedback. The tml with the vifa-paper cone is not mine, i just built and liked it. Here is the original thread, preety easy build. You just Need a wall, then no hassle, someone even left the back panel off and put it smack on the wall.
There is Even a closed build if you want to add a Sub.
Old 23rd November 2012, 01:22 AM   #460
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayrum View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The tml with the vifa-paper cone is not mine, i just built and liked it. Here is the original thread, preety easy build. You just Need a wall, then no hassle, someone even left the back panel off and put it smack on the wall.
There is Even a closed build if you want to add a Sub.
If you leave the back off and use the wall, how do you brace it? This is a good time to ask does anyone use drywall boards to make speaker enclosures? It is cheap and easy to cut. Provides good damping too?

Hide this!Advertise here!