Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2012, 05:36 PM   #401
diyAudio Member

Hi Henkjan, I like your comments !

xrk971, interesting thoughts, looking forward to hear (and see) more of it.
Old 28th October 2012, 05:38 PM   #402
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TABAQUBE

Here is a rendering of the 9.5 in TABAQUBE. There is an L shaped internal baffle and two 4x4 in baffles to make the path snake through for a 32 in long MLTL.
Attached Images
File Type: png tabaqube2.png (69.7 KB, 475 views)
Old 28th October 2012, 06:34 PM   #403
diyAudio Member

Default TABAQUBE model

I do not have MJK's model, I am wondering what the effect of all the extra corners would have on the SPL vs frequency? I think corners are treated as area expansions/contractions in the worksheets. So this design would have 6 corners (90 deg turns) with the mean pathlength still the same. Obviously the front baffle is different now so the BSC would have to be modified. I am also considering a way to make the exit port length or width adjustable with a set screw to 'tune' the bass response in real-time. Thanks in advance if anyone is willing to try modeling this before I cut wood.
Old 28th October 2012, 09:03 PM   #404
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I do not have MJK's model, I am wondering what the effect of all the extra corners would have on the SPL vs frequency? ....
in my experience, not a lot (as in the main shape of the curve remains the same), but the main difference can be seen in that in general a folded line gives a smoother response, peaks and dips are lower in amplitude
Old 28th October 2012, 11:09 PM   #405
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

You'll probably need less stuffing with more corners. So maybe it's actually for the best?
Old 29th October 2012, 04:07 AM   #406
diyAudio Member

Default TABAQUBE as MP3 Portable Speaker?

Less stuffing means louder sound, that is good. I know that these are supposed to give you great imaging of the sound stage because they are point source, what about a crazy application as an mp3 boombox since the shape is cubic and semi-portable? What do you guys think about putting two speakers on this (one will unfortunately, be at about 1/3 the distance to the exit)? Do I have to change the port dimensions? I could put a T-amp inside, have a 3.5mm jack, and add a handle on top. If I made it a little bigger, there could even be room for a Li-ion battery pack and the whole thing becomes portable.
Old 29th October 2012, 09:48 AM   #407
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Stereo will go to hell in a handback, and interference will also become a problem I predict.
A better bet is probably to do something a bit more elongated like the org. folded TABAQ, to space the drivers a bit more.
Old 29th October 2012, 07:22 PM   #408
diyAudio Member

Hi xrk971

The simulations with MJK´s models does not take into consideration that the cabinet is foldet, you just follow the line ine the middle of the cabinet all the way round.

To be honest I do not know if the folding reduce the need og stuffing. The original stuffing is to level peaks both in the bass and the rest of the frequency.

Your design would probably need a different BSC, whcih I can simulate.

If you are planning to run stereo, however, you could just merge two cabinets into one.

My foldet TABAQ is doing great with New Indeed Klasse T Amp Tripath TA2021
Old 30th October 2012, 02:47 PM   #409
diyAudio Member

BJohannesen,
I think that corners in MJK's worksheets are implemented as area changes due to cos(theta) effect (see MJK's tutorial at on page 16, http://www.quarter-wave.com/Back_Doo...al_7_03_09.pdf ). When the transmission line is stretched out, it looks like a series of expansions and contractions - and this makes sense that they will serve as low-pass filters. This may be the reason why many back-loaded horn designs work better with lots of 90 degree labyrinth turns rather than smooth curved turns.
Thanks for your great design which has led me to these concepts.
xrk971
Old 30th October 2012, 07:05 PM   #410
diyAudio Member

Default How to calculate vent dimensions?

If I want to route the vent to the front instead of going out the side, it will have to pass through a channel at the bottom of one of the front chamber (total passage length is 15.24 cm). The TABAQ currently has a vent port dimension of 1.6 cm x 10 cm in cross section with a length of 9.65 cm. If I want to set the length to exactly 6.0 inches (15.24 cm) in order to match the distance it must travel to make it out the front of the cabinet, how do I solve for the cross-sectional area? In my case, the vent width will be set at 4 in (10 cm), so the gap that is currently at 1.6 cm will probably have to be made greater to deal with the longer vent length. Did you set the length of the vent from the MJK worksheet or can I use something like WinISD and tune it for a bass-reflex cabinet set at 55 Hz?

Hide this!Advertise here!