TABAQ TL for Tang Band - Page 40 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2012, 02:35 PM   #391
diyAudio Member

Hi Pepe

TABAQ (TAng BAnd Quarterwave) is heavily stuffet to avoid uneven peaks in the upper bass. The volume for a 3" driver is large to extend the bass contribution from the opening - thamed by the stuffing which also even out the frequency response in general.

With my 4" TABAQ, the bass is tight (as I like it) but goes low enough. I tried to remove one third of the stuffing, and it sounded more lively in the bass. But not the way I like it. Please try it out and see what you like.

Please note that the goal when I did the design was to create a simple construction with a good price / performance. With the 3" TB I think you get value for money - but of course no party speaker :-)

Hi from
Bjorn
Old 18th October 2012, 02:38 PM   #392
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I think it needs to be said (for the uninitiated) that the advantage of going smaller is the HF dispersion is improved, not just a slight price reduction.
So as always it's a balance.
Old 18th October 2012, 04:08 PM   #393
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Bjorn,
I've almost completed veneering my folded TABAQs w/ the bamboo 4" TBs (I posted photos of the completed cabs in Aug). I know it has taken me longer than expected, but next week I should be posting photos of the completed project veneered in South American rosewood!
Regards,
Mario
Old 18th October 2012, 08:53 PM   #394
Pepe is offline Pepe  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thank you Bjorn for explaining what different amount/density of stuffing will do to the TABAQs. Just picked up a pair of QUAD esl 57 with renovated panels today, been wanting to own a pair of esl 57's for a long time, finaly got a pair!
The TABAQs will have some tough competition from now on.
They might get a new task assignment, tabaqs for the computer..... might go for folded ones!

Thank you Bjorn for sharing the plans for the TABAQs and also for your recomendations of drivers and stuffing etc.... Very generous!

Last edited by Pepe; 18th October 2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 27th October 2012, 03:51 AM   #395
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

I finally finished the folded TABAQs with rosewood veneer. They sound much better than I had expected as the TL really brings out the low end. Imaging is very impressive as well.

The drivers, with about 120hrs on them, are TangBand W4-1320SJ's driven by a FirstWatt F1....quite a nice match providing forward, bass-full sonics right on top of the beat. I haven't put in any baffle step circuits and probably won't anytime soon. Thanks again Bjorn for this creative twist on a TL cabinet.

Regards,
Mario
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA260147.JPG (436.0 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg PA260156.jpg (722.4 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg PA260160.jpg (666.4 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg PA260169.JPG (422.2 KB, 377 views)
Old 27th October 2012, 04:43 AM   #396
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobhed View Post
I finally finished the folded TABAQs with rosewood veneer. They sound much better than I had expected as the TL really brings out the low end. Imaging is very impressive as well.

The drivers, with about 120hrs on them, are TangBand W4-1320SJ's driven by a FirstWatt F1....quite a nice match providing forward, bass-full sonics right on top of the beat. I haven't put in any baffle step circuits and probably won't anytime soon. Thanks again Bjorn for this creative twist on a TL cabinet.

Regards,
Mario
Fantastic!!! I love rosewood. This design really puts out a scary amount. My Dayton ND105 garage beaters sound like they are backed up with a 10" subwoofer. They are the ONLY speakers I have ever heard in that garage that have good bass response, usually it sucks the life out of everything.
Old 27th October 2012, 05:17 AM   #397
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

^^ late edit

Scary amount of bass that is...
Old 27th October 2012, 10:39 PM   #398
diyAudio Member

Nice work Mario!
Old 28th October 2012, 11:55 AM   #399
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TABAQ QUBE Design

I have been looking for a way to make the TABAQ even more compact. Using the design rules of keeping the cross-section the same, and the port area x length the same, can the TABAQ be folded into a 3-dimensional geometry like a cube ? Basically the design looks like qnty 8 by 4 in x 4 in cubes stacked to form a larger cube with internal baffles to make the total length equal to 8 cubes in U-U-U shaped arrangement that snakes through all 8 cubes. The driver would be placed at one corner (at the third cube from the closed end) and the port would be at the terminus corner, or 8th cube. The overall design would be very compact only about 9.5 in x 9.5 in x 9.5 in using 0.5 in thick MDF. The design would also use very little lumber, one could even buy shelving lumber which comes in approximately 0.5 in thick x 10 in wide x 8 ft long. Each 8 ft long board would have enough material for 2 complete speakers and now only required a handsaw and miter box for the DIYers who do not have a table saw. I am thinking of going with a TB W3-315E. One note, the speakers will be asymmetric, so a L ans R will be different - that actually may look cool to some. Anyhow, can't wait to get the parts and lumber and start cracking on the TABAQ QUBE.
Old 28th October 2012, 01:12 PM   #400
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!