TABAQ TL for Tang Band - Page 39 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2012, 11:07 PM   #381
diyAudio Member

Default W4-1320SIF

I read thru the thread and only heard one mention if the W4-1320SIF model but nothing more. Anybody know if this will fare well in the TABAQ enclosure? Has a filter been worked up for the 1320SIF?

Thank you for any help!!!
Old 12th October 2012, 01:56 PM   #382
diyAudio Member

Hello Christof,

your driver is very much like the 1320 I now use in my TABAQ, and it will work fine - including the filter.

If you find the bass too tight, you could reduce the damping by one third. However, I do preffer the neutral and celan bass. When listen to music, I do not use my sub.

Please note that the filter is balancing the sound, it is not a drmatic effect. I am sure you would not use the spekaers without the filter, if you test the result with and without the filter.

Hi from
Bjorn
Old 12th October 2012, 05:16 PM   #383
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjohannesen View Post
Hello Christof,

your driver is very much like the 1320 I now use in my TABAQ, and it will work fine - including the filter.

If you find the bass too tight, you could reduce the damping by one third. However, I do preffer the neutral and celan bass. When listen to music, I do not use my sub.

Please note that the filter is balancing the sound, it is not a drmatic effect. I am sure you would not use the spekaers without the filter, if you test the result with and without the filter.

Hi from
Bjorn
Thank you, Bjorn!
Old 13th October 2012, 05:04 AM   #384
jhutka is offline jhutka  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Same filter for the VIFA 10-04?

Hi Bjorn,

On your advice, I've got a pair of the Vifa 10-04 to place in the folded TABAQ.

Do you recommend the same filter for these?

Thanks for all your help. Can't wait to finish these.

JH
Old 13th October 2012, 12:38 PM   #385
diyAudio Member

Hi jhutka

I have simulated 1.8 Ω and 0.5 mH i parallel for this driver, which is a minor adjustment.

Please take a look at the sims:

http://www.coolcat.dk/bjoern/VIFA_3.5_Full_Range.pdf

Hi from Bjorn
Old 17th October 2012, 07:03 PM   #386
Pepe is offline Pepe  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Today I plugged in my Tabaqs with Faital 3fe22. Driving them with one Hypex as2.100d plate amp, they make some sweet sound as long as I don't push them to hard. The lows are there but a sub or two as in this case make things really sweet on some albums!
But on some recordings/and music genres I miss the dynamics larger drivers provide.
Will have to wait a little and give them some more brake in time before I decide if they are keepers or not.
My previous speakers where 2 ways with JBL pro drivers and thats prbably why I miss the dynamics since the jbl set-up spoiled me with explosive and powerfull dynamics..... so obviusly not a fair camparison to ask 3" to do the same.

Listned so far to:
Jan Johansson, Album: Jazz på Ryska. Piano Jazz - absolutly stunning!

Tool, Albums: Lateralus, 10000 days. Listneble but not very enjoyable, lacking dynamics in the lower midrange.

Neil Young, album Weld. Nice on low volumes, missing some body in the lower midrange.

These impressions are with dual subs (12" drivers), without the subs all music except for the piano jazz did sound a bit thin.

Will get back after they broken in properly.

The upper mids and highs these drivers produce is very good. Would make a killer two way crossed over at around 300 - 500 hz.

What's the effect of less stuffing vs. more stuffing, what will it do to the sound?

Last edited by Pepe; 17th October 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 17th October 2012, 08:30 PM   #387
diyAudio Member

this was my finding with the tangband W3 1285SG, and its not due to the Tabac (I havent built one).

A 2 inch driver isnt REALLY capable of bass, but a 3 inch driver can, with limits. Id agree that they do make excellent satellites with a a helper woofer to do the real bass.

Not FAST, and certainly not 'new' but searching for it will liberate many threads of such builds which are worth reading however. I hate the 'name for anything' diy semi pro blurb that is prevalent here.

I designed a few nice boxes, but cant face having to name them (gregatronic TL was a joke) maybe 'Audiogasm A1 Cream Edition' wouldve got me some more respect

Tabac does, by all accounts do good things with these small drivers, and i understand where the name came from

but, theyre never going to compare well to a 12 fullrange or woofer for scale

Last edited by mondogenerator; 17th October 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 17th October 2012, 09:32 PM   #388
diyAudio Member

Mondogenerator:
Go ahead and hate it all you want, don't know what all your hate is good for though!?
PMS?
Old 17th October 2012, 10:43 PM   #389
diyAudio Member

i merely dislike the term FAST. i have no problem with Tabac or 3 inch drivers...
Old 17th October 2012, 11:50 PM   #390
diyAudio Member

Mondogenerator:
Sorry, I missunderstod you. I get your point, 2-way speakers have been around a while a new name (FAST) isn't needed for it. I agree!

Still listening to them and been "playing" with the DSP/EQ on my amp and it all sound alot better at this moment then earlier today.
I tend to listen to lighter and less complex music genres att night time not to disturb my GF and hey are great for low level (night time) listening with this type of music.
I do not want to hook up my other speakers, afraid I will miss the sweet sweet midrange that the Faitel 3fe22 drivers delivers.

Hide this!Advertise here!