TABAQ TL for Tang Band - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2012, 07:01 AM   #361
diyAudio Member

Hi JH

Please find the dimensions for the foldet version of TABAQ. You can place the driver in the middle of the baffle, and place the driver 5 cm higher up in the not-foldet version. I have done simulations on this alternate location of the driver (MJK´s models) and this will work just fine.

http://www.coolcat.dk/bjoern/TABAQ%2...et%20build.pdf

Hi from
Bjorn
Old 24th September 2012, 02:03 AM   #362
jhutka is offline jhutka  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bjorn.

I found the plans in another post. But, these look better.

I took your advice and have some Vifa 3.5 speakers. I hope they are the right model - TC9FD18-08.

Should the same baffle step be used on 3.5 as the 4 inches?

Plans are converted to inches and the wood will be bought this week. Thanks for a great set of plans!

JH
Old 24th September 2012, 02:54 AM   #363
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutka View Post
Plans are converted to inches and the wood will be bought this week....
I know I am being catty here and I apologize. Why did you convert the plans to Imperial? Just pull out your metric rule! Stanley makes a nice 5m/16ft tape, and a 15" metal ruler can be had at Lowes among others that has mm one edge.

I draw all of my plans in Imperial, but I don't hesitate to use metric plans.

Bob
Old 24th September 2012, 06:54 AM   #364
diyAudio Member

Hi JH

Your version of the driver is quite different from the 10-04 I looked into earlier on, so I have to check both stuffing and BSC.

I am travelling these days and will not be able to do simulations until later this week.

Hi from Bjorn
Old 25th September 2012, 01:27 AM   #365
jhutka is offline jhutka  United States
diyAudio Member

Bjorn,

Don't bother with the simulations. The 10-04s have already been ordered from Parts Express. The other Vifas will go in some BIBs that I promised a friend.

Bob,

Not catty at all. I just ordered a metric tape from Amazon. Lowes and Home Depot had nothing in-store.

I should have seen the absurdity in having to double convert:
1st- from metrics to hundredths of an inch.
2nd- from hundredths to 16ths of an inch. (Didn't even want to try 32nds!)

I guess that since my materials came in Imperial thicknesses, I thought that Imperial would be the way to go.

Thanks for the thoughts.

JH
Old 25th September 2012, 12:27 PM   #366
diyAudio Member

If you're using plywood, you may find that metric is actually closer to the actual dimension (i.e. 3/4: in the US is actually 23/32).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutka View Post
Bjorn,

Don't bother with the simulations. The 10-04s have already been ordered from Parts Express. The other Vifas will go in some BIBs that I promised a friend.

Bob,

Not catty at all. I just ordered a metric tape from Amazon. Lowes and Home Depot had nothing in-store.

I should have seen the absurdity in having to double convert:
1st- from metrics to hundredths of an inch.
2nd- from hundredths to 16ths of an inch. (Didn't even want to try 32nds!)

I guess that since my materials came in Imperial thicknesses, I thought that Imperial would be the way to go.

Thanks for the thoughts.

JH
Old 25th September 2012, 02:09 PM   #367
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbike1 View Post
If you're using plywood, you may find that metric is actually closer to the actual dimension (i.e. 3/4: in the US is actually 23/32).
23/32" is 18mm.

Apologists for Imperial measure seem to forget that American manufacturers have been forced to make things in metric to sell them internationally. Have you tried to work on a car lately with only an SAE tool set?

Bob

Last edited by Bob Brines; 25th September 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 25th September 2012, 06:14 PM   #368
diyAudio Member

hahaha! Metric or imperial, i use both. Its only a hassle when US imperial wts and vols come into play. There was nothing wrong with the original measures, why add a quart or pound? Sometimes being different for the sake of it makes no sense lol
Old 25th September 2012, 06:23 PM   #369
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
23/32" is 18mm.

Apologists for Imperial measure seem to forget that American manufacturers have been forced to make things in metric to sell them internationally. Have you tried to work on a car lately with only an SAE tool set?

Bob

I couldn't agree with you more about metric in general - now if international plywood manufacturers could get their act /QC together and manufacture with consistent thickness not only within the 40 sheets in a lift, but even across the span of a single sheet that'd be helpful . We go through 1000s of sheets of all types of material in a year, and I've personally measured variances of over .5mm within a lift and over .25mm along the length of a single 5x5ft sheet of Russian BB

Might not seem like a big deal until you try to machine for dadoes with a hand held router and guide rail, or stacked dado blades on table saw - you need to get creative with your shims and lot of test cuts to get a "just snug enough" fit.
Old 25th September 2012, 06:58 PM   #370
diyAudio Member

The UK has been metric for all of my life, although imperial was what i was brought up with, prior to school. Occasionally when i service a US machine the hunt begins for 5/8 or 3/8 Whitworth screws, or measure in thou' or mils, using a um micrometer. At that sort of manufacturing tolerance, despite my somewhat bleary eyed reminisence for the old measures, it becomes immensely frustrating working without microns. For one thing im glad, after years of AUS soap torture, i thank my lucky stars that we still use miles. 'Kays' just never sounded right to me.

Hide this!Advertise here!