TABAQ TL for Tangband

Well, what we can learn here, again: don't mess with good design :eek:.
I had covered the box walls behind the driver with some 5mm thick heavy cloth, to dampen higher harmonics, and I thought that it does not affect to bass response. And that was false idea...
Now there is just the 100g as suggested, and FR from 1m looks like this. The placement is same as before, but below 100Hz it looks much better. Thanks all.

Attachments

• TG9FG_1m_1_6oct_low stuff.jpg
    TG9FG_1m_1_6oct_low stuff.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 853
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi,
I had to take another measurement, as the level was quite low in the previous measurement. Here the distance is only 40cm and level is litle higher, to prevent background noise messing the results too much.

That is a great looking response for any speaker! :cheers:

Thanks for taking the data and sharing it. Confirms the typical -45 dB to -50dB THD that the Vifa has above 200 Hz (at least on the TC9FD's that I have measured). You are at -20dB (10%) which is not that bad around 50 to 60 Hz. This looks like it sounds really nice - balanced, smooth, with pretty deep extension given it is only a 3.5 in driver. :)

Thanks X.
I have not had long listening sessions yet, but early impressions are very good.
The BSC is modified to give good mid & high response. As I don't have miniDSP, I just used primitive old school components:D Here is the circuit too.
I am still wondering if the C2 should be 2.2uF instead of 1.5uF. Room damping and own taste makes difference which is better.
This BSC is propably not optimal for placement on the wall, but works better if the speaker is slightly further. I have to put them some 50cm from the wall, that is why it is like this.

Attachments

• TABAQ_BSC.jpg
    TABAQ_BSC.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 795
i just hooked up my tabaq for the first time and the sound is more than i had hoped for. never thought i would experience such speed and resolution from a 3", and there's also super clean bass to boot. i'm using w3-1364sa, not yet fully broken in since i'm still noticing the change in sound from about 30 hours ago when it was initially unlistenable.

two things-

1. the stuffing was less than 100g. after measuring out the cotton, i found it to be way too compact trying to stuff the whole recommended amount in there. so i put in only 70g or so each.

should i stuff in some more?

2. i love the sound so much that i'm already decided to build another pair using tc09fd this time. i'd like to go bipole.

how should i adjust the dimension, and can i wire them in series to increase the impedance?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just double the cross sectional area and double the vent area for a bipole. I would wire the 8 ohm TC9FD drivers in parallel for a 4 ohm load which works better with small class D amps. The bipole really takes care of the baffle step losses and no BSC is needed. You can argue that the extra driver in a bipole is probably less expensive than a coil and cap for BSC and boosts sensitivity from 85 dB to 91 dB (at 2.83 volts drive). It's like getting a 4x more powerful speaker.

I just finished a pair of TABAQ with TB W3-881SI. I still have to lacquer them, as to give them a glossy finish. Paint is HD Behr Premium Plus Acrylic Latex Dark Cavern (Dark Charcoal Gray). For point to point connections inside the enclosure I used Cat5 pairs. The binding post cups are cheap-o $7.00/pair, but they will have to do until I receive an order from Parts-Express that I'm waiting for, with various items, among them some quality binding post cups. I still have a few details left like painting inside the vents, but I can get to those prior to applying lacquer. Getting ready to test how they sound...:D

Attachments

• TABAQ Front.JPG
    TABAQ Front.JPG
    726.9 KB · Views: 763
  • TABAQ Back.JPG
    TABAQ Back.JPG
    725.7 KB · Views: 725