TABAQ TL for Tangband

How can I increase the volume of the cabinet with keeping the characteristic the same?

The Vifa is high Qts and can benefit from a slight increase in cabinet volume which should bring the bass output up a bit to match level of mids and highs. The 55 Hz extension is about right for TC9 or TG9FD. Very nice driver for mids and highs - very low distortion driver above 200 Hz.

I was confused too about the many spec. sheets saying different values, so I contacted Tymphany about the issue.
They replied, the spec sheet has the right number which is 113 Hz (4 ohm) and 105 Hz (8 Ohm) at the monment. :D (+-15%)

Hi Bjorn,
Fs is 145Hz out of the box, while spec says 105Hz... After driving 50Hz approx X-max level for 5 minutes, Fs dropped to 135Hz.
-Erkki

Last edited:
Okay, I am just learning. :) I have never built a loudspeaker before.
Hopefully I can hear this little gem in February.

Bjorn, I saw your webpage, and it is soo cool! :eek:
Making so many modern and colorful designs.... it looks very trendy.
I could imagine most of them in my living room. And my wife agrees too! :D

Hi Earfanatic

You dont gain anything increasing the volume of the TABAQ. It is already large for a 3 inch driver, improving the bass. The hard stuffing is to tame the frequency. The result is a very good sound size and price taken into consideration.

Hi from
Bjorn

After some measurement sessions and BSC simulations & modification the result looks like that. Bass response is much better in reality, as the measurement was made for the mid/high range. Mic distance 40cm.
Now I can say the TG9FD really sounds very good.

Attachments

• TG9FG_40cm_1_12oct_proBSC.jpg
    TG9FG_40cm_1_12oct_proBSC.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 995
Not sure why your bass is not showing up though, the Vifa in a Tabaq should hit 60 Hz easily.
I can see three main reasons, first the distance: mic-driver 40cm, mic-vent 70cm. Just taking mic to 1m distance, shows quite different result. See the result here.
Also, the speaker was approx 1m from the wall, so no bass lift from there. Then, I may have stuffed the box little too much (110..120g, material from Biltema ), but these drivers have higher than specified Fs, maybe also Qt. I think I should study REW or ARTA a little and measure T/S parameters to check.
Do you think these are even close to correct asumptions?

Attachments

• TG9FG_1m_1_6oct.jpg
    TG9FG_1m_1_6oct.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 735
I can see three main reasons, first the distance: mic-driver 40cm, mic-vent 70cm. Just taking mic to 1m distance, shows quite different result. See the result here.
Also, the speaker was approx 1m from the wall, so no bass lift from there. Then, I may have stuffed the box little too much (110..120g, material from Biltema ), but these drivers have higher than specified Fs, maybe also Qt. I think I should study REW or ARTA a little and measure T/S parameters to check.
Do you think these are even close to correct asumptions?

Your first curve "merely" confirms the manufacturers own datasheet.
Fs at around 110 - 125 and the bass rolloff looks almost exactly like the official naked driver measurement, so the Qts looks to be about right.

If it's not too much bother it would be interesting to see a measurement done at a proper distance for integration and/or the port alone and you didn't do it already up against a wall and with less stuffing. :)
I think it would do much better.

Edit. Measuring Fs seems to be kind of a black art with a lot variability. Just look at the original Tangband W3-315E. It's curve is the same or slightly "worse" than the TC9, even though it's marketed at a Fs of 100. MarkAudios CHR driver has measurements with the rolloff starting at approximately 100 Hz (it is a slightly larger driver), with the impedance peak at a somewhat lower point though.

Last edited:
What stuffing is recommended for this build? In my area I can only find loose polyfill, which might be a pain in the neck to keep in place (any tricks?). I might be able to find insulation fiberglass sheets, but not a very popular product in a Caribbean country with mostly all concrete construction.