TABAQ TL for Tangband

BJohannesen,
I think that corners in MJK's worksheets are implemented as area changes due to cos(theta) effect (see MJK's tutorial at on page 16, http://www.quarter-wave.com/Back_Door/Worksheet_Tutorial_7_03_09.pdf ). When the transmission line is stretched out, it looks like a series of expansions and contractions - and this makes sense that they will serve as low-pass filters. This may be the reason why many back-loaded horn designs work better with lots of 90 degree labyrinth turns rather than smooth curved turns.
Thanks for your great design which has led me to these concepts.
xrk971

So If I fold it, it it better to just fold it and keep the gap at the correct dimensions instead of putting in a curve that keeps the area the same all around the bend?
Not putting in a piece would make the area bigger at the bend where the bend meets the corner (the area around 45 degrees from spacer tip to corner) no?

Thanks Bjorn

These are some TABAQS I made for a friend. A little darker finish than I would like, but the sound is great. Perfect size for a computer speaker system and with the Vifa 10-04 they are easily driven by a small Class T amp. Ready to make my own now.

Bjorn, I consider these a triple threat:

1. Easy design.
2. Sound great.
3. Very affordable.

Great job.

Attachments

• DSC_0418.jpg
    DSC_0418.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,779
  • DSC_0423.jpg
    DSC_0423.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,738
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Jhutka,
Very nice job! I am still waiting for my Viva TC9D's to arrive. I plan to drive with a T amp also. How do you like the sound of the vents going up? In the meantime I am trying out my micro Tabaqube design using foam core paperboard with a 1 inch driver, looks like a little desktop PC speaker at 4x4x9 in. I will post photos soon.
Xrk971

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Micro TABAQUBE MP3 Player/Speaker

I built a micro Tabaqube with a 36 in pathlength (4 x 9 in) and 4 square inch cross sectional area to use with a 1 in driver from a small MP3 speaker/player. These player I have utilizes an LM4871 3-watt (mono) amplifier and also contains a microSD mp3 player, a rechargeable Li-ion battery, and a 3.5mm jack for connecting your external sound source (iPod). I wanted to make it small and portable, and I wanted to make fast and cheap. So I ended up using the foamcore paper board (poster backing) as the speaker housing material. You can make this in a hour with just an X-Acto knife, a ruler, and a hot melt glue gun. Anyhow, I made each quadrant have a 2 in x 2 in cross section, and there are 6 turns to the TABAQ - basically it looks like the 3d transparent drawing from my earlier post for the TABAQUBE but looks stretched out since the footprint is only 4 in x 4 in instead of 9.5 in x 9.5 in. I stuffed it pretty tightly with polyster fill from an old pillow per Bjohanessen's recommendation of about 2/3 the length from the closed end. I put some wire inside before sealing the unit off with glue on the top lid. For the vent dimensions, I was not sure how big to make it because this is so far from the parameters of the original TABAQ, so I made provisions for having an adjustable slot width by adding more foamcore inserts to tune the sound.
For the mp3 player, do a search for "hamburger mp3 player". I found one for about $9 and they have quite an amazingly powerful sound for how small they are. However, the bass is really non-existent as you would imagine for a speaker without a real enclosure. The bass could really be improved from the standpoint of an mp3 speaker with full-range sound which is why I took on this project. I took the hamburger player apart and separated the speaker and trimmed off some excess plastic and mounted that on the front with hot melt glue. Then I hot melt glued the back half of the hamburger on the back of the micro Tabaqube so that the 3.5 mm jack could go to the top where my iPOD nano would sit. The electronics half of the hamburger is really impressive for what can be done with $9. There is the microSD card slot, the mp3 player IC, the 3 watt amp, Li-ion battery pack, charging circuit, LED's and track and volume controls, and mini USB charging jack.
So how does it sound? Very nice for something that costs less than $10 and weighs less than 5 ozs including speaker cabinet! The bass is now present in good quantities, whereas it was completely missing before. The player is actually too loud to comfortably listen to if it is on your desk at full volume - I turn it down to maybe 60%. It sounds better than most portable mp3 players I have heard in the $30 to $50 price range, albeit, it is only mono. But that is OK as I use it mostly for background music while doing stuff around the house. It was a lot of fun to build and I am a true believer in DIY mass loaded transmission lines to make speakers full and rich.
Thank you to Bjohanessen for inspiring me to do this! Now that I have done it in foamboard, I have a good idea what I need to do to make the wooden cabinets for my Vifa TC9D's when they show up. I will make a stereo side-by-side TABAQ powered by a TA2020 amp. Although, I am also tempted to make a picture stereo transmission line, maybe I need to order more drivers???
Regards,
xrk971

Photos show the Tabaqube internal baffles, assembled with stuffing, 1 in driver on front, the electronics on back, and with an iPOD nano which fits perfectly on the top.

Attachments

• P1020977.JPG
    P1020977.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 1,810
  • P1030001.JPG
    P1030001.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 1,748
  • P1030004.JPG
    P1030004.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 1,702
  • P1030006.JPG
    P1030006.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 833
  • P1030008.JPG
    P1030008.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 915
Hi Squeak,

You're right, copper or brass would have looked better. I just used what I had on hand.

I can construct a box that will sound good. However, I need help in woodworking skills to make a box that looks good too. Planning on the technical end comes easily for me but not aesthetics.

Also, after I test the boxes by just clamping the last side to the cabinet, I tend to get impatient. I want to use them as soon as possible.

Maybe applying a little ZEN to the craft would help.

JH

TC9FD Paper vs Fibre glass

Are the specs of the Viva TC9FD (paper cone) really the same as the TG9FD (fiberglass cone)? Has anyone listened to both and can comment? The photos of the fiberglass variant (like Jhutka's) look really nice compared to black paper.

I believe earlier in the thread the author said they Sim quite differently and He advised the Fibre Glass version be used. I have used the paper cone variety in small closed boxes for computer sound and they are quite good considering the $11 price paid for each.

TC9FD choice

Looking at the specs on these drivers the fibre glass unit is rated at 10 watts RMS. The alternate is a 20-30 watt device. Reviewers at the Parts Express site say both sound good but the one is handicapped by its low power handling. One reviwer includes a picture of DIY 13litre tower with the paper version installed and gives it high praise!!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I use the paper cone Version in a tml, thanks to the very wide baffel, no correction requiered. The Fiber glass version is supposed to be not better in Sound but more expensive. It does have very differt Tsp parameters.

I tried your flat wall tml design in a stereo setup and really like it. You are right that no BSC is needed (as there is no baffle step). This is a great advantage in keeping costs down as inductors and resistors for $12 driver are a significant expense and rob amplifier power. The paper cone version seems to be a much better buy given the higher power rating and better high end frequency response.

Thanks for the feedback. The tml with the vifa-paper cone is not mine, i just built and liked it. Here is the original thread, preety easy build. You just Need a wall, then no hassle, someone even left the back panel off and put it smack on the wall.
There is Even a closed build if you want to add a Sub.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks for the feedback. The tml with the vifa-paper cone is not mine, i just built and liked it. Here is the original thread, preety easy build. You just Need a wall, then no hassle, someone even left the back panel off and put it smack on the wall.
There is Even a closed build if you want to add a Sub.

If you leave the back off and use the wall, how do you brace it? This is a good time to ask does anyone use drywall boards to make speaker enclosures? It is cheap and easy to cut. Provides good damping too?