TABAQ TL for Tang Band - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2009, 12:59 AM   #161
diyAudio Member

Ok built.

Testing them now, I'll upload a few pics later. My initial feelings are:

1.) My young ears can still hear higher than these perform. So I needs a tweeter.
2.) Awesome.
3.) Awesome.
Old 16th March 2009, 03:15 AM   #162
diyAudio Member

WOW!

I've got about 20 hours on them now. Bass is definitely heavy w/o the bsc. With it the bass becomes rather remarkably airy and transparent. The hollowness of a kick drum is really conveyed, same for a bass fiddle.

The little paper woofers (very glad I went with the paper ones) can produce enough high freq. Despite my initial concerns. I do feel the bsc is overattentuating though, I'm going to try and get to the shop to buy some more resistors so I can play with that...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00669s.jpg (16.3 KB, 994 views)
Old 8th September 2009, 09:49 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

These look like a good option for a fist build, but i'm concerned with them not being able to play loud enough. Ray, how have these performed SPL wise? i know you were concerned with maximum volume too.

and/or is there anyway to incorporate another driver into each? i was thinking about using the 4" ones, but if i could drop in 2 3" or even 2 4", then it seems that reaching sufficient SPL levels wouldn't put too much stress on the drivers.
Old 8th September 2009, 10:11 PM   #164
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
Ray, once you are in the shop anyway and have some money left...have a go at the caps in your bsc. Half a dozen cheap ones instead of one large one (connected in parallel, the values just add up) is as good as some boutique priced wonderstuff.
Old 9th September 2009, 03:13 AM   #165
diyAudio Member

Heh, pit there's no caps in my bsc!? No caps in the whole speaker!

My bsc's consist of two solen air cores and two flameproof resistors dangling off the bums of my tabaq's!

SState13:

Seriously great speaker for a first build. And if you do I strongly recommend using the 3" paper coned ones like I did. Paper always sounds good And I really really doubt the 4" woofers will deliver the necessary sparkle in the highs. Also highly recommend adding the extra compartment on the bottom for added head and mass loading. makes them very stable.

SPL? I'm running them on the audiosector.com LM3875 with a passive pre-amp. So the only gain is what the amp itself makes. For full-on Star Wars watching I have the pre at about 85% throttle. And they are very loud in my medium sized space. Never actually driven them to distort so I can't say just how loud they go. But with a real pre on my chipamp I'm confident it could be deafening.
Old 9th September 2009, 03:33 AM   #166
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
You need SPL from hell when your boxes, your music or your ears are crap. Our hearing judges by the amount of info coming in - high compression mp3 via earbuds or a $59.99 5.1 jobbie make you turn the wick up. Come a few years, the mp3 generation will rent flats of their own, and their hearing will be battered zilch by then. IŽll take my turntable and my fullrange boxes and move elsewhere.
Old 9th September 2009, 04:52 AM   #167
ltmon is offline ltmon  Australia
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't worry about SPL on these with anything other than a low power valve amp. You will hit the limits of the speakers cones faster than the limit of the amp with almost anything solid state. If you want earth shaking power a single 3" driver is not going to deliver no matter what anyway.

I used the 4" and it does lack the better high end of the 3". A trade off for the bigger low end I guess, and you can't have it all in a $30 driver. I have actually ended up with rear-firing tweeters on mine just because I had them spare, which seems to work well to improve the upper end without although the circuit behind this is more trial and error than science.
Old 9th September 2009, 05:30 AM   #168
diyAudio Member

Ok, thanks for the answers, i was really considering abandoning the single driver approach, but the star wars comment is all i needed to hear. The only reason I was going to go with the 4 inchers was to gain as much overall volume as possible. But I will be using a subwoofer, so the really low end won't be a problem as long as they reach down through 80Hz or so. I've never used, or even heard single driver setups, so i guess i really didn't know what they are capable of. Power will not be a problem, I have 80 watts at 4 ohms to play with, driven by a real preamp. I was much more worried about the speaker being able to take the power.

hopefully I will be able to start on some of these soon... and the BSC circuit ur using, is it just the one recommended in the pdf of the plans?
Old 9th September 2009, 06:38 AM   #169
diyAudio Member

Yep exactly like his only swinging on the outside

These suckers punch down to 55-50Hz IMO. So you'll be killin' it with a sub.
Old 9th September 2009, 07:27 PM   #170
diyAudio Member

great! that gives plenty of room to set the crossover without straining the speakers

Is there any good way to make one of the panels removable to adjust stuffing or the BSC components? I know i could just leave the BSC external like you did, but i would rather have it inside

Hide this!Advertise here!