TABAQ TL for Tang Band - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2008, 12:10 PM   #141
diyAudio Member

A picture from my 871s version. A bit different geometry and an option for cabinet changes (opening back board). Standard 80mm computer fan grill preventing mechanic hazard (three 1-4 yrs sons) of drivers.

[img]http://venda.uku.fi/~jleskine/TBQ/Ta..._port_sml.jpeg[/img]
Old 2nd October 2008, 02:33 AM   #142
Ang is offline Ang  United States
diyAudio Member

I've got 4 of the TB w4 1320sc's and some cheap dayton tweeters - was thinking I could use the second woofer as a .5 to compensate for baffle step in the tabaq.

Is there an optimal way to calculate the crossover for this? (or put it into MJK's spreadsheets?) Thanks!
Old 2nd October 2008, 06:30 PM   #143
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

measuring is the best way, but if you do not have the gear, I suggest the program "the edge" to simulate bs
Old 2nd October 2008, 07:39 PM   #144
diyAudio Member

so I should essentially have the .5 woofer come in at the mid point of the Baffle step compensation dip in the Edge?
Old 24th February 2009, 11:37 PM   #145
ltmon is offline ltmon  Australia
diyAudio Member

A 4" TABAQ, using the W4-1052SD.

Currently it's running without BSC filter, but I think I might add one and possibly later try out a tweeter. Would love to hear how your's pans out Ang.

Thanks for the design, based just on what I hear I think it's really worked out well with these drivers.
Old 25th February 2009, 02:49 AM   #146
ltmon is offline ltmon  Australia
diyAudio Member

Apparently my attachment didn't work, let's try again...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th February 2009, 07:45 AM   #147
diyAudio Member

Nice looking speaker there.

Currently have wood cut for the design, will post results. Have great plans for a granite baffle, which hopefully works out.
Old 25th February 2009, 01:59 PM   #148
rco3 is online now rco3  United States
diyAudio Member

Eventually, I got around to building my "folded Tabaqs" which ended up being more or less NOT Tabaqs. I just had to have a tweeter. Heresy, I know, I'm in the full-range forum and everything, but a 4" FR just gets kind of beamy. Sorry. So I explored various tweeters, etc., and then decided to just match the stuff currently in my main system - Zaph's Bargain Minis. It's a 4" MCM 55-3853, relatively similar specs to the W4-1320 in my Tabaqs. I spent some time with MJK's worksheets (before my 1-year limit ran out) and iterated to a folded, tapered line that looked good.
So I built these cabs:

Click the image to open in full size.

Folded, tapered, longer than TABAQ and a two-way. (I guess I'm officially off-topic.) I'm rather fond of the way that the port (now a tube) extends from the bottom of the line through the top of the line and out the front of the cabinet. I used Zaph's drivers, crossover, and driver spacing verbatim, with a slightly narrower front baffle. I'll get around to adjusting baffle step someday, but it's hard to take 'em down because they sound nice.
It's hard to think of these as a final revision; the height is awkward, in between a floorstander and a standmounter. They'd make a great pair of dorm speakers or bedroom speakers, I think, because of the tiny footprint. I have no measurements, yet. Too busy listening to these and building others.
Old 26th February 2009, 03:30 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

Default TABAQ in marble

Yay, I've just completed a single TABAQ speaker in 18mm black marble, using TB-871SC. Not stuffed properly or completely sealed yet, but already sounds great, and of course looks fantastic. Will post pics imminently.

For the first one, I just followed the standard design, modified for 18mm thickness, and rounded the front edges. I think I will alter the design for the second one, so that the front is a continuous sheet, with the joins on the sides, or use diagonal joins, etc.
Old 4th March 2009, 02:01 AM   #150
diyAudio Member

Wait a minute... marble??? I salute you sir!

Where'd you source it? How much if you don't mind me asking did it cost ya?

Hide this!Advertise here!