TABAQ TL for Tang Band - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2008, 07:51 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

sorry, I've been on a trip and busy building my car back together for SWMBO...

anyway. I don't use a filter. the originals astound people time and again - NO-ONE! - accepts initially that there's no sub running

The one pair runs at work and has been used succesfully for parties; I will build something else for sheer volume later.

Bret
Old 19th June 2008, 01:33 AM   #132
d0g is offline d0g  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedback guys... Since TB's are not really an option for me due to availability, it looks to be all systems go with the Vifa's.

I am planning on mounting the driver up the top as I reckon it is much better visually.. but otherwise the same. See

TABAQ and Needle hybrid

Will probably do some testing with the filter and see how it goes.

cheers
Old 1st September 2008, 04:51 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

I'm a newbie planning to build these as a first project with TB871. Can I just ask about the BSC components? The recommended circuit is L=1.0mH and R =3.9ohms.
I'm planning to use Mundorf air coils L71 (0.71mm wire, R=0.91, rated 20W at 8ohm), and possibly ceramic resistors, rated 10W - basically because it looks like this is what is used in the TABAQ pdf document.
Are these suitable, am I better using metal oxide resitors, and do I need higher W ratings for resistor, and/or heavier duty inductor (eg 1mm wire)?
Old 1st September 2008, 07:10 PM   #134
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

a thicker wire in the coil will improve the bass output, I would suggest at least 1mm
Old 3rd September 2008, 02:08 PM   #135
rco3 is offline rco3  United States
diyAudio Member

@ d0g : The height of the driver within the transmission line of the TABAQ is carefully chosen to optimize reduction of standing waves in the system. If you move the driver location, that cancellation will be less-than-optimal, and there will be more ripple in the bass response.
Old 3rd September 2008, 02:39 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

has anyone folded the Line? to make a speaker that fits on the desk, even if it is quite deep?

one third of the line above, the other two thirds folded below the driver?

Bret
Old 3rd September 2008, 08:53 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rco3
@ d0g : The height of the driver within the transmission line of the TABAQ is carefully chosen to optimize reduction of standing waves in the system. If you move the driver location, that cancellation will be less-than-optimal, and there will be more ripple in the bass response.

Did you read the thread quoted ?

Bjorn in it says that the driver position was calculated with no filling and that with filling it can be moved higher.

I have had a few things pop up so have yet to build these unfortunately..
Old 4th September 2008, 02:10 AM   #138
rco3 is offline rco3  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, I have read that thread. I read it again just now. I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were stupid, and I hope you didn't either.

I've also built TABAQs ,I've bought MJK's t-line worksheets, and I've simulated the TABAQ and variations thereof. It's true that when the stuffing levels are high, driver at the top works well. But I like my sims of the original position better than my sims of the driver at top. And, since my TABAQs sounded better to me with somewhat less stuffing, I simmed at lower stuffing levels with the drivers in both positions. Again, the original position is better-looking.

Of course, room interaction will dominate the differences between the two positions. But the driver-at-top sims show appreciably more ripple in the 200-400Hz range, at least my sims do. The feeling I get is that Bjorn's tactic of optimizing position first and them improving through stuffing results in a smoother response, and what I see is that driver at top is not as smooth as driver in the original position.

But hey, they're your cabinets. Build what you want. Let us know how you like them.

Me, I'm going to start cutting wood for that pair of folded TABAQs I designed a few months ago. Those will have the driver at the top of the cabinet AND at the original position within the line. I'll report back on those when I have 'em done.
Old 4th September 2008, 02:28 AM   #139
diyAudio Member

Interesting comments.

No offence taken - I am very much a newbie when it comes to speaker building so I am all ears.

Will let you know how whatever I decide to do turns out... might even try a removable baffle so I can do a comparison.

cheers
Old 8th September 2008, 02:16 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

I have made a pair of Tabaqs w/ a cabinet similiar to Bretti's except driver is w3-871s and placed on the side of the cabinet. I filled the "bottoms" of the cabinet with sand. First impressions wo/ any external circuits is quite bright and stereo imaging...

I still haven't got real tests for the speakers, but definitely needs help from the front wall placement. I bought the pair of drivers with 30euros. Imazing sound with that price

Hide this!Advertise here!