TABAQ TL for Tang Band - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2007, 06:47 AM   #121
diyAudio Member

<dig out an old thread>

I've tried these with the W3-315SC and now the Vifa TG9DF10-04s and i'm impressed. I'll try the lower sand loading shortly, but for the mean time, hard against a wall, they sound fine

next changes:

- 16 or 18mm MDF
- sealing with Bitumen mastic
- 30cm higher, with sand-filled space
- chamfer the inside of the driver hole

Bret
Old 15th November 2007, 07:12 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

listening tonight against a different wall, now about 8 feet (2.5m) apart, they sound excellent. I don't need a sub. For the first time in years.

They're on a 5-6 year-old yamaha AV-Receiver. 100W / channel. They need some volume, but then they really shine.

Bret
Old 22nd November 2007, 08:35 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

... and i hit the limits

the 50W /Chan of my Arcam 8P sounds excellent, it's really rather good close up. Bass control is good (this is still with 10mm MDF) and it's generally impressive for the size of driver. I've stunned a couple of colleagues... however, they're not for big rooms. I ran them near to distortion last weekend for a couple of hours and they're none the worse for it, but they simply weren't loud enough. The room was, though, close on 50m2....so i wasn't really surprised.

A good amp, some volume and a small room with a wall hard behind them and life is pretty good.

Bret

Old 1st December 2007, 09:04 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

i'd highly recommend the 16mm / Sand combination. However, the bass is seriously dry, clean and down to 42Hz or so (i will test again when they come back upstairs, i'm painting); they are 1m tall and the additional space at the bottom is completely filled with Quarz sand.

The Stuffing in this case is that from an old pillow; it's stuffed to approx 52cm from the top - the same above and below the driver - and it is extremely good now, very very clear. I'm running using a Phase26 USB from Terratec. I will try to test these versions in my office.

The other thing that strikes is that these drivers really do need 20-25 hours of running-in before they sound any good. I've just crossed this barrier with this set and the difference is significant.

Bret
Old 28th December 2007, 09:42 PM   #125
rj9294 is offline rj9294  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Best W4 Filter?

I've read threw this post several times, and am still unclear as to what the best filter for the W4-1320 driver is.

I'm planning on going with 3.8ohms and 0.8mH, but other have used ever all the way to 6.0ohms and 0.7mH. What is the reasoning behind all the variation? Thanks
Ray
Old 30th December 2007, 03:47 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Hi Ray,I am planning to try my TABAQ with the 4" TB. Believe it or not, I have not tried it - only the 3" TB. But will compare the two.

According to simulaton with MJKs model, the filter should be the same for both the 3" and the 4": 3.9 ohm and 1.0 mH. These are the values from my original article in Ax.

With the 4" however, it seems no filter is needed if the listening position is 3 meter, and the speaker is against the wall and standing directly on the floor.

If your listening postion is closer, filter should be used.

I would suggest you made a filter and use it if you find the sound more balanced in your own listening room.

Bjorn
Old 16th January 2008, 11:49 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Default "extended" tabaq with Vifa TG9s

pics:
these are 1 metre tall, using 16mm MDF; the extra space is completely filled with Quarz sand. They're damn heavy!

The drivers are not flush and they're not fixed yet, as the finish needs to be completed with 10micron paper, maybe some more "patching", 2-3 coats of gloss varnish and then polishing.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Bret
Old 16th January 2008, 12:49 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

bretti_kivi: Nice!
Old 17th June 2008, 02:50 AM   #129
d0g is offline d0g  Australia
diyAudio Member

bretti_kivi,

I also think they look nice.

Did you use a filter with your Vifa drivers ?

Are the Vifa's worth the extra cost over the TB 315's ?

cheers
Old 17th June 2008, 06:51 PM   #130
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

kaunis!

on the Vifa's: I have them in a Needle and they are certainly a lot better than the W3-315, frienldlyer high and a better bass. worth the money... if you build them as your main speakers: certainly they are. for the Needle I had L=0.1mH, R=3.3ohm, C=57uF as BSC

Hide this!Advertise here!