TABAQ TL for Tang Band - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2007, 07:01 PM   #111
diyAudio Member

My 4 inchers are FE127e and have been very pleased with them over the years.

The inverted TABAQ plays ok at high volume levels. For me, seeing the
ol' volume meter cranked for minimal performance on a 3 in. speaker is disconcerting.

For a first build, the 871's can be ok because they require
few tools to assemble the box: 3 in hole cutter in a drill or drill
press can make the cutout and 2 in hole cutter to make the port if you made it the way I did.
Old 12th June 2007, 02:40 PM   #112
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Solve
Just can speak for my self and the W4-1320SA.
Yes it sounds very good!
I had the W3-871 in first and i was amazed!
But the bottom came with the W4.
Dont know if it works with W4-656SC.
Just try?

Solve

Okay, I did this and it sounds great! Right now I'm breaking them in with no stuffing. Has anyone who used the W4-1320's put stuffing in?
Old 13th June 2007, 04:55 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoomieMCT
Okay, I did this and it sounds great! Right now I'm breaking them in with no stuffing. Has anyone who used the W4-1320's put stuffing in?

I have now played around a bit and answered my own question. Stuffing makes all the difference in these. They sounded good, but almost too mellow before with little mid-bass definition. The stuffing really brought out that mid-bass.
Old 16th June 2007, 01:46 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Just as an FYI, I've been playing around with the BSC values for my TABAQ (with a TB W4-1320). Based on info here and some quick math I originally had a L=1.0mH and R =8ohms. I noticed there was a dip at about 200Hz as if the BSC effect was starting too soon. I replaced the inductor with L=0.7mH and my response is much flatter now.

Papa's happy he got is mid-bass back!

I'm always paranoid about burning up full range drivers as all my amps except my PSAudio #2 put out 70 watts per channel or more. I took the liberty of installing a circuit breaker to protect them.
Old 17th June 2007, 03:41 PM   #115
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: TABAQ TL for Tang Band

Quote:
Originally posted by Bjohannesen

Hi from
Bjorn

Little confused on the vent size. on the .pdf file 10x9cm, but I also interpret this as the size of the top piece making up the vent. Is the size of the wood piece 10x9cm ?(in which the vent size is will be 10x10.2cm or is it the size of the vent.

gychang
Old 18th June 2007, 12:25 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Hi Gychang, the 10 cm x 9 cm is the piece of wood to make the opening. The length of the opening is 9 cm plus 1,2 cm. The opening is 1.6 cm tall and the area equals 0.5 Sd

Hi from Bjorn Johannesen
Old 18th June 2007, 03:47 PM   #117
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Gychang, the 10 cm x 9 cm is the piece of wood to make the opening. The length of the opening is 9 cm plus 1,2 cm. The opening is 1.6 cm tall and the area equals 0.5 Sd

Hi from Bjorn Johannesen

Thanks so much Bjorn. gychang
Old 13th July 2007, 04:01 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

I have an issue with my TABAQs that maybe y'all can help me with. I built a set using 3/4" MDF and the Tangband W4-1320SA driver. They give pretty flat output down to 65Hz or so. I like them very much but after running some tests I have a dip in output from about 100 - 250 Hz. I normally have a very narrow 100Hz dip because of the floor / ceiling room mode, but it is never this wide. I have tried setting up different BSC circuits but none really get rid of this dip leading me to believe it is caused by something else.

I do have some theories.

1. I did chamfer out the back of the driver mount, but maybe I need to chamfer it more?

2. Could over or under stuffing cause this?

Has anyone else had this problem? I will post a FR picture when I get home to make my problem more clear.
Old 14th July 2007, 05:07 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Hi

I get exactly the same result using MJK software. This is caused by reflections, which you will see in many loudspeakers in "real life".

Have you tried to lift the cabinett from the floor, like mounting it on the wall ?

MJK software takes into consideration the physical environment, used to design BSC. MJK software also predicts the dip you have noticed. Which is interesting - the simulation and real expereince seems to follow each other

The dip is smoother if you have carpet floor and not a hard floor.

This does not help you much, but you have done nothing wrong.

Hi from Bjorn
Old 15th July 2007, 05:49 AM   #120
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Have you tried to lift the cabinett from the floor, like mounting it on the wall ?
They aren't on the floor right now, they are one some short stands. I'll have to play around with this to see if that is related.

Hide this!Advertise here!