TABAQ TL for Tangband

Hi all:

i read Stuffing TABAQ TB 4 Inch guide after, interesting about Cross section area, value change to 154 cm2, it's speaker front side to end side inner length right?

QUOTE=Bjohannesen;5719370]Hi

This is a different model, but you could use it as a pretty good guideline.

Regards
Bjørn
[/QUOTE]
Hi to all from Russia.

if the cross-section area is increased to 154cm2, what is the area of the port?

Original design cross section area 128 cm2, port 16 cm2
Larger volume cross section area 171 cm2, port 22.8 cm2
So for cross section area 154 cm2, what is the port area?

And what is the formula between the two?

Thank you in advance

BR, Alexey

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
There’s no “formula” - the Tabaq design was achieved through simulation of a MLTL speaker. It depends on the driver T/S parameters. However, if you are going off-design, and you are using a moderate Qts driver (0.4<Qts<0.9), try using the Accidental Mass Loaded TL technique. It lets you use the standard bass reflex calculators as the “formula” to set the cross section as it relates to box volume and then sets the vent dimensions as if it were a BR vent.

Accidental MLTL Technique

Thank you for reply, Perceval - much appreciated.

This is my first DIY project & i wanted to try TABAQ design.

i am comparing:
1) Visaton FR 10 HM 4Ohm FR 10 HM - 4 Ohm | Visaton
2) Visaton FR 10 4Ohm FR 10 - 4 Ohm | Visaton

There several posts mentioning these drivers in this thread, however i am not fully clear:
1) which driver will be better for TABAQ
2) which dimensions will work best for the chosen driver

10 HM has higher Qts=1.13, which i understood not good for TABAQ?

Based on different PDFs from Bjorn - he mentioned 3 options
1) original design with 128cm2 CSA, 16cm2 port
2) increased volume with 154cm2 CSA, port size not mentioned
3) larger volume 171cm2 CSA, 22.8cm2 port

I understood CSA = 4 x Sd. However that would result in CSA 200cm2 for above Visaton drivers.

If you could share some links where to read about this more given that i am not very fluent with acoustics yet, however studied physics in university.

Planning to use these speakers for medium size bedroom.

Thank you in advance.

BR, Alexey

Hi Alecey

Cross section 4 timed Sd is not a given rule, it is just an easy way of using MJK's simulatiom models and it will vary depending on the driver and the geometry of the cabinet.

As a rule of thumb: More volume = more bass.

In the end it will be a comprimize depending of what size you want to live with.

Personally I like dense stuffing using relatively large volume to compensate for the damping. This controlls the woofer displacement below the tuning - unlike a BR.

Hi
Bjørn

Thank you, Bjorn - much appreciated.

For your simulation in file - Stuffing TABAQ TB 4 Inch.pdf

"Stuffing Tang Band W4-1320SJ Fs 75 Hz.
TABAQ with slightly increased volume. Cross section area 154 cm2. Tuning 53 Hz.
Stuffing upper 2/3 of the line. Light (0.2 lb ft 3 25 gram), medium (0.5 lb ft 3 63 gram) and dense (0.9 lb ft 3 112 gram)."

For CSA 154cm2 & tuning to 53 Hz, what was the port area cm2?

Thank you in advance!

BR, Alexey

Thank you for watch out - Perceval.

Visaton drivers are affordable & i wanted to try them in my first DYI as learning experience.

Yesterday i looked at higher end driver Mark Audio Alpair 7ms.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...standers-alpair-7ms-alpair-7ms-spec-final-pdf

Now comparing these designs
1) TABAQ
2) This MLTL MLTL Floorstanders for Alpair 7MS
3) Pencil https://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensils/Pensil7MS-310818.pdf from this thead New Markaudio Drivers - Page 10 - diyAudio

I think Bjorn simulated TABAQ for Mark Audio Alpair 7, but not 7ms.

Any opinions on pro's & con's of 3 designs?

Thank you for watch out - Perceval.

Visaton drivers are affordable & i wanted to try them in my first DYI as learning experience.

Yesterday i looked at higher end driver Mark Audio Alpair 7ms.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...standers-alpair-7ms-alpair-7ms-spec-final-pdf

Now comparing these designs
1) TABAQ
2) This MLTL MLTL Floorstanders for Alpair 7MS
3) Pencil https://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensils/Pensil7MS-310818.pdf from this thead New Markaudio Drivers - Page 10 - diyAudio

I think Bjorn simulated TABAQ for Mark Audio Alpair 7, but not 7ms.

Any opinions on pro's & con's of 3 designs?

Direct link to 2) MLTL design http://wodendesign.com/downloads/A7ms-compact-MLTL-060918.pdf

I am hoping that Bjorn or someone with the MJK worksheets can help me out here. I am working on a TABAQ design over on TABAQ with FaitalPro 3FE22, my project goal and parameters are detailed on the thread, but in brief I am trying to design a fairly simple and therefore easy to replicate TABAQ with a low cost FR driver, that I can replicate for friends, most of whom are tight on space and budget. I originally picked the FaitalPro 3FE22 and Bjorn kindly made a sim for it (attached), but I am now thinking that the Dayton Audio PC83-4 or 8 would give me a little more bass for less cost. Could Bjorn or someone make a sim for this driver? It has a significantly lower Fs than the 3FE22, so I am thinking the TABAQ could be tuned quite a bit lower than the 3FE22 one, and maybe even than the original design.

My thanks to everyone who helps out us newbies on this forum...

Attachments

• 3FE22.pdf
    139.6 KB · Views: 126
I am building a TABAQ using the 4" TB-1337SDF. The plan to to increase the width to 12cm so as to accommodate the bigger driver.

In order to maintain the cross section area of 128sq cm, I have to reduce the depth to 10.7cm.

I notice that I will have to reduce the step board from 9cm to 6.9cm in order to keep the gap spacing similar at 3.8cm.

The height remains the same.

Are the assumptions and calculation correct?

TIA.

I am building a TABAQ using the 4" TB-1337SDF. The plan to to increase the width to 12cm so as to accommodate the bigger driver.

In order to maintain the cross section area of 128sq cm, I have to reduce the depth to 10.7cm.

I notice that I will have to reduce the step board from 9cm to 6.9cm in order to keep the gap spacing similar at 3.8cm.

The height remains the same.

Are the assumptions and calculation correct?

TIA.

Nope, the tuning of the port will be higher. Cross section area and length of the port must be kept in the same proportion (for the same tuning).

J.

Last edited:
Also, it's ok if the bezel of the driver goes over the side panels a little.
So, you won't need to really increase the baffle width by much.

The design of the TABAQ will not go completely off if you add a centimetre here or there to the CSA's enclosure.
Except for the vent, where you want to keep it as close as possible.

My 4" TABAQs (TB W4-1052SD) have a tad bigger CSA than the original design, and they sound fine.