New Fonken pair is born.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Some time ago I planned to build a pair of Fonkens (http://www.planet10-hifi.com/) and here are some preliminary views.
Burch plywood is used and the results are very satisfying.
Still have to stuff them with damping material, screw in the speakers and wire them before I can listen.
I’ll report when done.

/Hugo

Attachments

• mvc-753f1.jpg
    mvc-753f1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 13,738
Really nice, clean work there.

Any plans for finishing? I have found that a light blonde shellac looks really good on both the veneer and the edges, but if you want a browner look, you have to be careful because the edges and birch both start looking blotchey (IMO).

Very nice work. I especially like the removable back. I made a pair and sealed them up, leaving the only access through the speaker opening in the baffle. That made it a real pain to lay in the damping material and wire up the speakers.

Enjoy them and be sure to report back after you have a chance to listen.

pete

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, I had a brief listen.
Unfortunately, the cabinet is still not stuffed with the correct damping material so they don't sound right.
I tried filling them with what you see on the picture (don't know the name) but that seemed to be a bad idea.
One of these days I'll find some wool felt as recommended and report back.

/Hugo

Attachments

• mvc-754f.jpg
    mvc-754f.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 11,512
Netlist said:

Unfortunately, the cabinet is still not stuffed with the correct damping material so they don't sound right.
I tried filling them with what you see on the picture (don't know the name) but that seemed to be a bad idea.
One of these days I'll find some wool felt as recommended and report back.

Excellent work Hugo!
I'm using cotton felt raided from a pair of old Sansui speakers. This is the same material used in furniture manufacturing. Cheap and easy to find.
I was advised to attach the felt before gluing the panels, as it is very difficult to do this after assembly.

Happy listening,
Jeff

Attachments

• minio-01.jpg
    minio-01.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 9,355
Netlist said:
How would that look like? :xeye:
White and fluffy, it's used to stuff quilts and small pillows.

Wool has disadvantages (not least of which, price) and AFAIK no demonstrable advantages over poly in this application.

Or perhaps the greater price and inconvenience is the advantage, in that it allows one to prize one's speakers more . . . .

Netlist said:

How are yours sounding? Did you hear them before the felt was in?

For the first listen I didn't have felt on the back panel. The sound was very bright, the upper frequencies being reflected back in the box.
I now have the first box together with felt on the back panel. The sound is much better, still a little shouty as my drivers aren't treated yet. Bass output is quite good, with the room helping a little in this area.
I'm still assembling the other box BTW.

Jeff

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Akita: how do these sound?

Any update on how this fonken sound?

er ,if the Fonkens, then I did a fairly indepth review of them for
Affordable$$Audio .

Do a search here as well (diyAudio) for other impressions. In a nutshell:

good tonality, PRAT (the Pace, Rythm, Attack and Timing thing), good imaging, excellent "disappearance factor", incredible amound of bass given their small enclosure size.

I would consider these as an only loudspeaker pair in most rooms upto approximately 12'X 20' (with 8' ceilings) or so. Any room larger and you may want to add a subwoofer, and/or do the bipolar versions depending on your musical tastes. I believe the miniOnkens (with the CSS drivers would be equally good, depending on your amplifier), and better suited for lower bass (Dave, help me out here:) ), and bigger high dampening factor amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.