New Fonken pair is born.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
serenechaos said:
$210 / sheet!!! :eek:
But they sure look nice...
Do ya have any more scraps left over? ;)

Whut are µFonkens?
Are they the same as miniOnkens?

Whutz the deal on the SDX7?
Would that integrate well as a sub?

No scraps... i was even thinkin' of sheeling out for anothe piece (even more expensive here) just to build a set of Bamboo mFonkens & µFonkens....

We are working on getting the SDX7 to integrate withµFonken at the moment. Still need to EnABL one, and probably need a better XO, amp than we have tried so far.

dave

PS a miniOnken is the same size as a Fonken and houses a CSS FR125SR

Attachments

• thefonkens.jpg
    thefonkens.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 3,134
serenechaos said:
Whut are µFonkens?
Are they the same as miniOnkens?

Dave will doubtless correct any of my mistakes here...

In descending order of size (leaving the bipole & floorstanding versions aside) we have
-GR Fonken
-Fonken (FE127E) and miniOnken (FR125)
-milliFonken (FE127E)
-uFonken (FF85K) -can't find the correct character, because I'm thick, so I used the 'u' character as a substitute)

Scottmoose said:
It's specifically for the FF85K. No links, dimensions etc. yet. The cabinet is being prototyped at this time I believe, or very soon. Dave & Chris are very careful -the lengthy development period of the milliFonken (still not officially released) is testament to their care.

I've got permission from Dave to tease a little on the sound of the microFonkens

a few quick points;

1) They need substantially more than 3W that the Paramour 2A3 can offer up (more sahpryse?) With the diminutive little Kingrex amp T20U (in every sense except power!) running USB input direct from the iMac make for a stunning computer monitor - youtube never sounded so full bodied.

2) In a larger venue than the 1/2yard listening distance from the computer screen, there's not much bass (sahpryse, sahpryse). The big challenge will be to integrate low end from circa 200Hz down that's matches #3, and doesn't take up 10ft^3 . Full range, an EnABLed pair of these are very clean until they suddenly overload or the amp clips.

3) Upper midrange and top end speed and transparency surpass the FE127 or FE126

4) We haven't tried the FE87 yet, and when you consider the minor price differential between the 3" and 4" Fostex drivers, the small drivers will probably have more limited applications without assistance (as alluded to in #2 above)

5) During a listening session this morning, I counted speaker systems . Of the 9 pair in the house, only 1pr wasn't a DIY /Planet10 design (the little Bostons in the workshop), of the remaining 8, only 1 box doesn't include some Fostex drivers (that being a CSS SDX7 sub), and only two of the Fostex systems aren't EnABLed (yet) - so some might consider my impressions somewhat biased.

So be it, I went through enough mainstream commercial products during the past 40yrs to know what I hear, and what works for me. My listening room is too small to accommodate a decent OB for something like the Visaton B200, Ron Clark Austin A166, etc., and I need to concentrate on things that will work in small spaces.

cheers, and Merry Xmas, y'all

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
µFonken is about 2 litres net volume. Bass to 100 Hz but at levels limited by the xMax. To get to the same place with the FE83 or FE87 required an mFonken size box so why use one of those when yousqueeze an FE127 into that size box. mFonken is about the size of the LS3/5A (but better). Doesn't go much lower then micro but with more level,

mFonken is ~14x24x18 (wzhxd). µFonken 12x18x15

µFonken was originally targeted as a hiend computer speaker, but given its better than we had hoped for performance, we are going to be putting more effort into getting woofs to work with them. The biggest issue is likely to be XO. Something like active 2 or 3 order LP + a PLL 1st order might well end up working best.

We hope to make the SDX7 work with them as it is well suited in terms of box size & is relatively cheap. We'll likely also try others including some of the Fostex woofers.

A manuafcturer we are wotking with has some things up their sleeves that could help that situation along.

The only thing holding up release of plans is my finishing them to the level we have set. If someone is eagar to build either the milli ot the micro, just mail me, i have plans enuff for an experienced builder.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:

Dave will doubtless correct any of my mistakes here...

In descending order of size (leaving the bipole & floorstanding versions aside) we have
-GR Fonken
-Fonken (FE127E) and miniOnken (FR125)
-milliFonken (FE127E)
-uFonken (FF85K) -can't find the correct character, because I'm thick, so I used the 'u' character as a substitute)

GR Fonken, like the Floorstander is a derivative of the Fonken. The intention was to get similar performance in an easier to build box.

Next up in the vien will be the RoboFonken -- a Baffle kit that will turn the 14 litre curved back PE boxes into a low-budget, minimum effort Fonken derivative. Robo, because to get the quality at the price these are they are built by robots. They are MDF... but the sides are actually 6-ply MDF plywood, the back is really narrow, and a holey brace attaches the 2 remaining MDF pieces (top & bottom) to the sides. Toss the MDF baffle and we should have something quite respectible.

dave

serenechaos said:
oh yeah.
I kept thinking the numbers were too big, or too small.
That system has centimeters, too, not just millimeters...
duh!!! :xeye:

I've been trying to train Dave to use mm only ( it can certainly get confusing when dimensions are not fully notated) as the need for us to use metric in the first place is the European origin of the panel saw and CNC router sometimes used to cut or machine our parts. Regardless of the measurement convention on the shop drawings or AutoCad programs, all dimensions are translated through several layers of CADCAM software to each machine's native OS in millimeters only.

To clarify, when using 12mm (indeed slightly less than 1/2"*) Baltic Birch plywood, the external dimensions of the little microFonkens are 126mm W x 218mm H x 140mm D (add a mm or so for veneer on all sides, and you've still got a tiny enclosure. Installing the internal felt damping material is enough of a challenge before the box is together, unless you've got really tiny hands, don't even think forget about it trying afterwards - that driver hole is only 3" diameter.

As the above dimensions or those given on Dave's drawings are contingent on arriving at optimal internal volumes with the specified material thicknesses, recalculations need to be made for thicker stock.

For example the last 2 pairs of plywood Fonkens were made with 15mm BB ply, with 18mm front baffle. The bamboo pair were made with off-cuts of 3/4" material for all the external panels (the internal slot divider and driver brace remained 15mm BB), so the resulting enclosure is approx 6mm wider and taller, and 3mm deeper.

As aesthetics required the side bevel exposes the full thickness of the outside panels on the bamboo boxes, this also results in a wider chamfer than with 15mm. If you're using regular BB, and intended to paint or veneer the boxes, that latter step would probably not be necessary.

*the fraction of mm difference in thickness from imperial to metric dimensioned sheet goods (applicable to MDF and particle board as well), may not amount to a significant difference on cabinets as simple as these, but if you're stacking many layers of material (a la Layertone, Gemme, et al), after 10 layers that would amount to 7mm (+ 1/4") and could certainly affect CSA or volumetric tuning of critical designs.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
serenechaos said:
The "regular" Fonken 'print shows it to be ~ 8¾ x 14 x 11¾ ?

Since you've figured it out already this is just for completeness....

22x36x30 if you use consistent units... (and so does my brain -- it gets more confusing when i start mixing dimensions in the same sentence :))

my CAD software switches effortessly between units and the mFonken drawing that was handy was in cm

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.