Just got pair of HiVi B3s...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My plan is build Zaph's desing, but first I like to test and break in them in OB.
Have anyone try them in OB?

I know that this is just 3" but maybe I could try them on JE Labs style OB....?

http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/JELOBplan-1.jpg

Or is that just stupid idea?

I don't need a lots of bass and I understand that I can't even get it with this driver. (I will build two active subs later...)

Should I try OB or just forget it and build Zaph's desing?

Thanks, Mikko.

(Sorry about my bad english)

If you really wanted to build a system around the B3s in open baffle with stereo active bass modules, you could use a much smaller baffle (think Linkwitz Orion or Pluto projects, or Basszilla).

I doubt the B3s would give you satisfaction on their own in open baffles. To get an idea for the relationship between radiating cone area, baffle size, SPL, frequency, and excursion requirements, Linkwitz has a nifty little calculator:
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/spl_max1.xls

Please, son't take this too seriously :D

http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=im000756ga0.jpg

My first Hivi B3S impressions in cardboard OB: GREAT!

Of course there's no much bass, but what these little things can do, they do it well. Acoustic music works fine. And live-cd:s sounds like LIVE first time. Drum cymbals sounds great too.

I'm quite sure that I go OB with these. And stereo active subs later. Next I will buy material (maybe finnish birch) to do better JElabs style OB's. Later (with subs) I will put these in smaller baffles.

Very fun driver. And only 14 euros....;)

No I don´t have sub. Only those hivis.
Of course I gained bass on amp :). Direct sound without any bass boost is much more thinner...

That was only test. I don't listen these with that much bass.
If you try take much bass of these then middle range isn´t so good anymore...

If there's much "hitting bass" or powerfull kickdrum in tune, then the sound "breaks". Bass guitar lines works quite nice.

That's pretty awesome.

I had heard that you get much material below 100Hz that they turn to mud, but there was obviously quite a bit going on below 100Hz in your test.

I'm considering making short lines of these, turned on point like you had yours so I can stagger them into a solid line with the center-to-center distance shrunk to 1.5". This would allow the line to play lower with less distortion.

Anyone have any idea what sort of performance I might get out of lines of say 9 or 11 per side? On possible situation would be near field, the other with a listening distance of about 12'

Kensai

Kensai said:
That's pretty awesome.

I had heard that you get much material below 100Hz that they turn to mud, but there was obviously quite a bit going on below 100Hz in your test.

I'm considering making short lines of these, turned on point like you had yours so I can stagger them into a solid line with the center-to-center distance shrunk to 1.5". This would allow the line to play lower with less distortion.

Anyone have any idea what sort of performance I might get out of lines of say 9 or 11 per side? On possible situation would be near field, the other with a listening distance of about 12'

Kensai

I think my quite small room gains lower bass.
I'm very happy with my test results. And I'm sure that bass response is now better than in the begining of my test. These drivers really get better after breaking in.

Your line array idea is interesting. I don't have any experience with lines. But I think that these would work fine in line arrays. I have heard that curved front baffle helps with that desing. I don't know english word for that problem that many line desings have...

Maybe somebody understand what I mean...:)

Btw. It's hard to discuss about these technical things in foreign language but I try :)

I believe that's combing. That's why I mentioned staggering them so their diamond shape makes them lock together with cone areas overlapping vertically. The center-to-center spacing of lining them that way will be about 1.5" which is about 9000Hz, so if your center one is run full range and you cross the rest of the line out lower than that, there shouldn't be any problem.

I'm actually thinking to try using the inductance of the voice coils themselves to lowpass most of the line, though I'm not sure how I'd wire that yet to get a good load.

Kensai

The Hi-Vi BS3 doesn't seem to be appropriate for an OB without a woofer (if that's what is suggested?). As noted by ZaphAudio "this speaker has serious harmonic distortion below 100hz" (http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html). I'm also concerned about the sensitivity at 81dB 1W/1m. You'll be exceeding its Xmax of 3 mm at just over 2 watts of power and only generating about 93 dB.

But... pairing it with a driver such as the Eminence Alpha 15A changes everything. Here's some simulations run with the B3S on its own (close and far from the rear wall) and with the Alpha 15A using a Linkwitz-Riley 2nd-order xover at 500 Hz.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Alpha 15A is much more efficient so its level was dropped by -5 dB to match the B3S. The sims were run with a baffle set to 18" x 32", the Alpha 15A up 9" from the floor and centered in the baffle, and the B3S up 18" and also centered [King's MathCad models used here are excellent and highly recommended!]. Note that all OBs should exhibit increasingly poorer response the closer they are to a back wall (compare the B3S 18" out versus 200" for example)

holdent said:
The Hi-Vi BS3 doesn't seem to be appropriate for an OB without a woofer (if that's what is suggested?). As noted by ZaphAudio "this speaker has serious harmonic distortion below 100hz" (http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html). I'm also concerned about the sensitivity at 81dB 1W/1m. You'll be exceeding its Xmax of 3 mm at just over 2 watts of power and only generating about 93 dB.

But... pairing it with a driver such as the Eminence Alpha 15A changes everything. Here's some simulations run with the B3S on its own (close and far from the rear wall) and with the Alpha 15A using a Linkwitz-Riley 2nd-order xover at 500 Hz.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Alpha 15A is much more efficient so its level was dropped by -5 dB to match the B3S. The sims were run with a baffle set to 18" x 32", the Alpha 15A up 9" from the floor and centered in the baffle, and the B3S up 18" and also centered [King's MathCad models used here are excellent and highly recommended!]. Note that all OBs should exhibit increasingly poorer response the closer they are to a back wall (compare the B3S 18" out versus 200" for example)

At 120$ a pair, they're also quite expensive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.