I don't deserve it!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My 1st speaker, with help from Bob Brines.

Used 3/4" plywood, cut at Homedepot, next time will tell them to cut 1/4" larger, they don't cut accurately... Used 1/4" hardi backer inside lining per BB's suggestions. Used RS drivers, will be driving it with amp6BASIC, t-amp clone (my first electronic amp so far not working..., those soldering's are small...) Tried on my lowfi setup at home, works fine, even without a burn in, I am not sure how the sound will improve!!. I am hooked as they say.

I like to thank this forum for all the help. I like to ask about my 2nd speaker project.

will be driving with t-amp, small footprint, like to get more base..., is the Bigger is Better the answer?, I see most cost effective solution may be Monaco 5" speaker, but having trouble getting exact inside demension...

thanks all.

gychang

Attachments

• untitled-1.jpg
    untitled-1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,084
Nice job. I wouldn't worry about break in -aside from with Lowthers, and some of the Sigma Fostex units, I'm not convinced it exists -it's your ears that do the breaking n, not the driver, once it's been taken to Xmax a few times.

If you want bass out of a small driver, the BIB is just about the ultimate answer. Please see the thread; I've answered your question regarding the internal dimensions there. They'll thunder, that I can promise you. Very different type of sound from your ML pipes here -they're horns, and they sound like they are. But in a good way. Just as these are ML pipes, and sound like they are, also in a good way.

Regards
Scott

Scottmoose said:
Nice job. I wouldn't worry about break in -aside from with Lowthers, and some of the Sigma Fostex units, I'm not convinced it exists -it's your ears that do the breaking n, not the driver, once it's been taken to Xmax a few times.

If you want bass out of a small driver, the BIB is just about the ultimate answer. Please see the thread; I've answered your question regarding the internal dimensions there. They'll thunder, that I can promise you. Very different type of sound from your ML pipes here -they're horns, and they sound like they are. But in a good way. Just as these are ML pipes, and sound like they are, also in a good way.

Regards
Scott

Scott: thanks so much, I will follow your suggestions. and would like to compare these two.

gychang

congrats!

on getting the single driver bug.

I second the 5-6 inch realm BIB. I was listening to the ones I built a while back speced at 166es-r with now a 167e driver with 15watts per channel of EL84 PP power last night. I actually set the system up in my friend's house, which has a huge living room with really tall ceilings and nice carpet. old construction.

Lee scratch perry rendered my friend and I into an out of body experience for the entire duration of the CD. real psychadelia. the only drugs involved other than the music itself was a glass of wine. we finally had to turn the system off. lee perry was just relentless. every song was hitting us like a ton of bricks.

I have alot of stereos and components available to me, but darnit, this system is just a work of sonic art. it gives a highly refined feel to the sound. such a wonderful balance of what is possible. I credit this mostly to the 167e driver, which is quite a value, all things considered.

now if I can only get that kind of tone in my 206es-r's...

Attachments

• p1010010.jpg
    p1010010.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 918
Re: congrats!

blumenco said:

such a wonderful balance of what is possible. I credit this mostly to the 167e driver, which is quite a value, all things considered.

now if I can only get that kind of tone in my 206es-r's...

Are u aware of any less costly speaker I can try BIB with?, 167E seems out of price range for this DIYer... Looking into Monacor but no dealer in USA.

thanks,

gychang

It's a traditional P.G.A.H. Voigt style chamberless corner horn, with an upward venting mouth. As you can see from Blumenko's photographs here, they are a tall, slim, moderately deep cabinet that take up little floorspace. See the BIB thread here, and the pages that Jeff hosts, that contain suggestions GM & I have made for versions of this cabinet with lots of different drivers: www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp They don't look great on a sim, but perform much better in-room -I won't go into all the ins and outs of why here. 167s will be ~flat to 30Hz in-room.

Re: congrats!

blumenco said:

I second the 5-6 inch realm BIB.

I have alot of stereos and components available to me, but darnit, this system is just a work of sonic art. it gives a highly refined feel to the sound. such a wonderful balance of what is possible. I credit this mostly to the 167e driver.

I read your comments again, it is BIB with 167E, decided on your enthusiastic comments. There is one minor concern....

Since the box size is not too tall exposing the opened top I am considering building a base, I realize it will elevate the speaker position, but I don't want to see the opening on the top.

BIB for FE167E
L = (Line length) 136in
Zdriver = Driver 27.5" down from sealed end of cabinet
Sm = 87.75in^2

What do u think?, will it affect sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.