Radio Shack 1272, anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering if anyone has ever used this speaker in a project. Its sort of like a slightly higher power 1271 without the curvilinear cone( instead, its a more conventional shaped cone, and a more aggressive whizzer). I've used these to restore old console stereos when a good vintage speaker was unavailable. They don't sound too bad in this application, and I'm wondering if anyone has used them in a project.

the 1271c ( which btw is my avatar) is a nice sounding speaker as well.

It seems to hold the bass notes a little longer, while the 1272 seems to have a stronger initial punch to its bass notes.

I have all three of the rs 8 inch fr speakers, the 1271, the 1272, and the 1043( though it seems the model varies on this last one. theres also a 1286 that seems to be the same as the 1043) and two of the Wall mount PA speakers, which is like an "instaOB" when use un-mounted. It sounds alot like the 1271, but the driver lacks a whizzer.

the 1286/1043 seems to be a heavier duty FR that seems to have the underpinnings of a woofer. Its bass is superb, yet it still retains alot of its highs and mids. It seems to be made for medium powered amps, while the 1271/1272 is made for lower powered amps.

Greets!

In 2001 someone sent me a 40-1242 FR plot, but don't recall if it was an 'E' or not. Anyway, it was so bad that I had no interest and I don't recall him doing anything with them either.

GM

Attachments

• rs 40-1242 fr plot.jpg
    rs 40-1242 fr plot.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 315
Greets!

Yeah, I've irritated more than a few folks on other forums when I remarked IMNSHO that a particular driver be used for skeet practice since invariably someone was either pleased with its performance or they had already bought some on sale.

GM

Greets!

If you want to play with them, then assuming yours has a similar response they could be front horn loaded, though only as a ~110 - 2 kHz BW unit, so think big. For sure it's underdamped BP response begs the Q of what was it optimized for? Cheap PA horn?

GM

Hi everybody. Ive been lurking here and y'all have inspired me to make my own speakers. I decided to use open baffle for ease of construction. I was thinking about using the Visatons, but I found a good deal on the RS 1272D and decided to try them first. I mounted them in a diaper wipe box, which was a great baffle with built in wings. I use these speakers as my computer speakers with the monitor acting as a baffle too.

I am pretty pleased with how they sound. I have never owned a full range open baffle speaker before so I cant compare them to anything, but to my ears they sound very nice. The bass is a little light but it is good enough for me. I am a semi-pro bass player and listen to mostly reggae as well as world music, soul and funk and the bass has been fine so far. Sometimes some of the reggae can be a bit too much for the speaker but usually it is fine.

For the under $100 I have spent these speakers sound great.

Thanks Scottmoose. I dont think I will ever buy speakers again.

Thanks for the tip Scioneer. I think I will add another wing to the mac side of the baffle. Should sound better with a bigger baffle right?

After reading on the web I'm not sure that the speaker will affect the hard drive. I read that a changing magnetic field will erase data but a constant field, like that in a speaker will not damage. I think I will still add that extra wing just to ge safe.

Does anybody have any specs on the 1272d? I can't find much information about these speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.