Aperiodic box for B200. Vent size and box shape?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have use the B200 in an OB for over a month now, but for my tiny room and taste, I am thinking about putting the B200 in a aperiodic box to improve the bass over the OB and perhap a sharper imaging as well.

Now I know there is the Omega version but I am looking for a thin tall box if possible. Also, is there any formula to calculate the vent size?
If I use a long box and put the vent at the bottom, will this turn into a TL?

TIA.

Chuck T

I don't think there have ever been any formulas for aperiodic loading -at least, not that are of any use to us now. Closest are Scan Speak's remarks about their aperiodic vents -aperiodic will behave as a critically damped sealed box of 20% greater volume than is acutally the case. How accurate that is, I've no idea. Probably roughly correct.

No, if you make a tall cabinet with the vent at the bottom, it won't be a TL, or not exactly, but you might have some QW issues unless you make sure the enclosure is suffiencntly damped, & perhaps have a coupel of internal panels to break up standing waves. You should be able to simply double the height of the Omega cabinet though without any problems. As a general rule, for sealed boxes & their variations, bigger = better LF performance.

Hi.

Omega Loudspeakers is preparing a floorstanding version of the discontinued A8...
http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/news.htm

There is an especialized forum in Audio Circle about Omega loudspeakers with very friendly people. Moderator is Louis Chochos (president of Omega). Sure they can help...
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?board=31.0

Some information about aperiodic loading on this thread...
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87012

Best regards.

Antonio.

The thinner and longer it is, the more likely you are to get box resonances.

AFAIK the Omega enclosure uses a pair of Scan-speak vents you can get at madisound. 6 bucks each, not too bad. Or you could fabricate the vent(s) yourself.

IIRC one way to think of an aperiodic is as a sealed box, but with the vents increasing the effective volume. So model the box as a normal sealed box, with the actual size as a lower bound to the effective size. I've never seen any calcs as to how much volume the vents add to the effective size.

Thanks for the reponse.
I have already read a few of those threads.

I notice the Omega like to use wide and shallow boxes, I wonder if there is advantages for wide baffle as I would like use narrow box if possible. The vent looks big and is located directly behind the driver.

I'll probably use a large square vent as well.

I have the old Martin King worksheets. For the ported box, which is the port stuffing density? Is it the Dp0 ~ Dp4 ? why is there 4 of those variables?

Wide baffles can give an interesting wave-launch and lowers the frequency at which baffle-step loss occurs.

Re the sheets, scroll down further until you see the heading 'Port Section of the Enclosure' The right hand of the 4 columbs lists stuffing density. Normally it's set to 0.0. Adjust as per requirements, but don't go beyond 0.999lbs ft^3 or MathCad will thpow a fit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.