Lowther - measurements - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2006, 11:06 AM   #1
jirka is offline jirka  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jirka Send a message via MSN to jirka Send a message via Yahoo to jirka
Default Lowther - measurements

Hello,
does anyone have any measurements of any Lowther driver or similar fullrange driver (Fostex, AER, Exact ,....)?

I would like to see waterfall plots, impulse response, phase response, step response, impedance, frequency ....

Thanks
Old 11th October 2006, 11:40 AM   #2
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

There are some measurements of my Lowther drivers under my Lowhter ML TL project and also under the General Speaker Related Articles page. Not all of the ones you are looking for but some, measurements of Lowthers are hard to find on the Internet. Typical Lowther users are not into measurements.
Old 11th October 2006, 11:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

No wonder so many of them are unhappy.

Given that 90% of the Lowther drivers appear to have an Fs considerably higher than is claimed, to say nothing of the other differences, one wonders if that's a primary reason for the constant fiddling with cabinets -they designed them to the published specs (one assumes), and unknowingly have a mis-match.
Old 11th October 2006, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
they designed them to the published specs
The big assumption is that they designed anything. Most high end full range driver users design by trial and error. This coupled with a low Qts driver is a sure recipe for no bass and shouty midrange. I hear from these people every week via e-mail.
Old 11th October 2006, 12:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJK
The big assumption is that they designed anything. Most high end full range driver users design by trial and error. This coupled with a low Qts driver is a sure recipe for no bass and shouty midrange. I hear from these people every week via e-mail.
Now why does that not entirely surprise me?

Frankly, I suspected as much, but I didn't have the direct evidence, or not as much at any rate. On the up side, if you're hearing from them regularly Martin, that's a positive sign that they know they've taken the wrong approach in the past, so they should be able to move forward now.
Old 11th October 2006, 01:03 PM   #6

I hear from them directly. I offer them a few pieces of advice. Some try it reluctantly and are usually happy, but most ignore what I offer because it is not the purist approach. They try something else. I hear from them again and the cycle repeats. Lowther owners have to be the most unhappy audiophiles I have ever encountered. Constantly tweaking to try and fix a shouty system response.
Old 11th October 2006, 02:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

'Brick walls', 'heads' and 'beating against' are words that leap to mind. Maybe they're masochists.

I seem to remember one of the fundamental rules of audio states that 'Any idiot can design a loudspeaker system, and unfortunately, many do.'
Old 11th October 2006, 04:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJK
I hear from them directly. I offer them a few pieces of advice. Some try it reluctantly and are usually happy, but most ignore what I offer because it is not the purist approach. They try something else. I hear from them again and the cycle repeats. Lowther owners have to be the most unhappy audiophiles I have ever encountered. Constantly tweaking to try and fix a shouty system response.

The two most asked questions I get: Do I really need BSC? Do I really need series resistance with a high BL, low Qts driver?

Bob
Old 11th October 2006, 05:12 PM   #9

And the most common response I hear back is "I can't add a passive circuit, that will suck the life out of the music". To which I ask "Are you happy with the overly bright presentation you are hearing right now?".

They almost never try adding a circuit even though it is inexpensive and completely reversible at which point we reach a stalemate. They go off and continue swapping speaker cables (really series resistance and dollars) and tube amps (more series resistance and bigger dollars) in seach of the holy grail combination. At some point they convince themselves some combination and dollars spent sounds great.
Old 11th October 2006, 05:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ah, but Martin, Bob, you forget that adding an inductor and resistor in parallel with the driver will have terrible consequences. It will sound 'different'. It will have bass for example. Shocking. Truly shocking. If you carry on in that reckless, Jacobin, democratic way you'll put all the snake-oil cable merchants out of business, and actually improve people's enjoyment of audio. We can't possibly have that.

Of course, they could also try designing a decent horn specifically for their drivers in the first place, rather than coming up with a cabinet, plonking the drivers in and hoping for the best. Like the circuit, that too, might be a little too obvious.

Scott

Hide this!Advertise here!