Foster FE168EZ Sigma

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
DIY-speaker virgin here.
I would like to build (well, assemble, I'm not that handy) a replacement for my el-cheapo speakers. Decent sound is OK (whatever that may be), doesn't have to be top-notch.

I have this crazy idea that one Real Full Range is better than 2-way, so I was thinking of putting an FE168EZ Sigma in a BK16 cabinet, rather than buying the kit with the FF165K+T90A.
Would also save me some money.

1. Is this a good idea?
2. Other combinations better? For clumsiness reasons I'd like to use a kit like the BK16, but this could also be an other one
3. will the FE168EZ Sigma fit in the BK16 front panel?

TIA
Steven

I probably would avoid. The BK is a fine kit I dare say, but it's not going to be optimal -it wasn't designed for the Sigma, and it's a bit small to do it justice.

Three alternatives. A BIB (see www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp ) is a superb option for these drivers and is mind-bogglingly easy to build. Only six pieces of wood per cabinet.

If you want something more conventional, the Factory cabinet design is exceptionally easy to build as it's all right-angles, despite the large number of pieces, and it comes with a cutting-plan -just print it off, and take down to your friendly lumber merchant to cut to size, which you can then glue together as your very own kit. Better still would be the Nagaoka D37. Here's a link with a link, if you see what I mean, to the plans. Again, easy build, all right angles, and will sound better than the Factory horn, and far better than the BK.

>>> Only six pieces of wood per cabinet.

Seven if you include the inner baffle…

Nine if you count my poor measuring to clear the inner baffle and magnet.

Not that this counts for much but I used the older style 168S (with wizzer) in something similar to the BK 16 and wasn’t crazy about it. There was a hollow sound that could have been the box/mdf/or my slightly inaccurate dimensions. Perhaps too, it could have been dips and peaks spoiling the sound. The driver sounded much fuller and better in simple ported boxes than this more elaborate one.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/BK161ForSale.asp

The combination you suggest will work but probably won’t work to the great potential of the Fostex 168ez.

I'm also intersted in a good "conventional" back loaded horn design for the FE168 Sigma. Possibly not too complicate to build, but not necessarily "all right-angles".

The BIB looks good, but it has a very low WAF (at least to the Italian "W")

The Nagaoka D37 looks quite interesting, but I heard it has been designed for the old Sigma driver and I wonder if it can be sucessfully used with the new one.

BTW Scottmouse, I cannot see what you mean with the l"ink with the link" ;) I know a Japanese link with a (bad) english translation.....

Any other suggestion highly appreciated.

Blast. Forgot to add the link. My apologies. But I think you've already found the information you need. ;) http://satriany.free.fr/pages/enceintes/nagaoka/fostex2.php?lang=en

See plot below -that's the FE168ESigma in the Nagaoka D37 cabinet modelled in the latest MathCad BLH Sections sheet. Not too bad at all.

Somewhat differently, Dave P10 & I have Iris in the works, which is an enlarged version of the Harvey double horn (see the Spawn of Frugelhorn thread -Harvey is the name eventually settled upon), specifically for the 6-7in Fostex drivers. It's not actually much larger at all, and all the comments I've had so far about Harvey have been very positive, including from some ladies who place a high value upon aesthetics, despite the height.

OK, so it's not a 'real' horn but a big vent reflex design, but you get a real flavour of the horn sound from a simple cabinet, and very good extension too. The first pass drawings will be available soon.

Scott

Attachments

• nagaoka d37 with fe168esigma.gif
    nagaoka d37 with fe168esigma.gif
    6 KB · Views: 945
One more thought that wasn't mentioned, would be the Supravox TQWT. I heard this with the 168s and it was fantastic. Very strong bass, thought there was a sub, to be honest. As a note, on the pair I heard, no stuffing was used.

I've attached a PDF of the plans...

Attachments

• tqwt215.pdf
    65.6 KB · Views: 338
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.