Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2006, 05:39 PM   #1
Rafal is offline Rafal  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default CSS FR125S 2 way OB

Hi Folks,

I have read that there was some interest in the 2 way OB with CSS FR125S and a bass driver (Eminnence Beta 15").

Has anyone tried it? If so, how would the crossover design look?

I was very intrigued by the Visaton Nobox but I already have the Fr125s so maybe I can use those.

Thanks,

Rafal
Old 8th October 2006, 04:48 PM   #2
Rafal is offline Rafal  Canada
diyAudio Member

Any idea on what would be amplification requirements for a 2 way OB (FR125S and 15' Eminnence Beta)? In other words, would a 20w/ch chipamp be ok to drive them?
I know this is a rather hypothetical question, but I just want to get an idea if I will be ok using my cipamp or if I will run into trouble. This chipamp just running the FR125S in OB seems to work fine.
Old 9th October 2006, 02:05 PM   #3
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Not quite your OB FR125S, but I did a hybrid with a woofer so the information here might give you some ideas.

Your chipamp should be fine as long as you don't go nuts on the volume control I found the T-amp I have ran out of puff quickly but my chipamps have no problems and they are about 29W.
Old 9th October 2006, 03:06 PM   #4
2litre is offline 2litre  United States
diyAudio Member

Rafal,

What baffle size / design are you lookng at with them?

Also, how are you going to drive them? Wired as a 2-way or with a seperate chip amp for them in addition to the one for the FR's.

R/

Jim
Old 9th October 2006, 03:58 PM   #5
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
I am also interested in a project such as this. I would consider active amplification with a mono sub amp for the dual bass drivers and and small tube or chip amp for the small fullrangers. crossover as low as possible at least, but i think that this would be great with those CSS FR125S above 150hz and a pair of dayton audio reference 15" for below. keep me posted!
Old 9th October 2006, 04:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

James D, an occasional contributor here, has an interesting way of crossing over two drivers like an Eminence and something else (whatever it happens to be) on OB. As I understand it, the drivers are connected in series, and have the filter components in parallel across them. Should be easy enough to alter for the CSS unit. Don't ask me how it works though -I've no details, and XOs are not my thing.
Old 9th October 2006, 06:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott!

The problem with the eminence and the CCS FR is the large sensitivity difference.... fortunately its the Em that is more sensitive so you can pad it down... which has its own problems..

I would use different drivers - either different bass driver or different fullrange...

Heres a link comparing series and parallel filters x-over filters

James
Old 9th October 2006, 06:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Cheers for that James -I really should have thought of that. Eliot Sound is a site I occasionally visit, usually to get a reality check, but I hadn't seen this article before -if it's half as good as his other work, I reckon I'm going to enjoy working my way through it.

Look forward to meeting you at Eggfest

Best
Scott
Old 9th October 2006, 07:18 PM   #9
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
The problem with the eminence and the CCS FR is the large sensitivity difference.... fortunately its the Em that is more sensitive so you can pad it down... which has its own problems..
If you cross over low enough, the added efficiency of the Eminence woofer could be used to extend the bass response and might even allow the baffle size to be reduced. Having the bass driver more efficient than the mid-range/full range driver can be a real advantage and traded off in the design process. It depends on the sophistication of the design process to use the added efficiency to its full advantage. A lower or equal efficency woofer in an OB reduces the variables and ties the design diown with fewer options to trade off. I would trade the CSS FR driver and keep the Eminence woofer (or maybe use the Alpha version) if I were doing the design work.
Old 9th October 2006, 08:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ummm....

If the bass driver is mounted on an open baffle, either flat or U-shape (like I design) then you cannot extend the drivers frequency response downwards by adding series resistance or using an autoformer to reduce its sensitivity - you can extend the measured response of the system by reducing the higher frequencies to the same sensitivity as the rolled off low end of the bass driver ( which is what the series resistor does...) but it doesn't change the bass drivers response wrt roll off. It does cause the system effective Qes to increase so the bass response becomes peaky and the sound of the system changes - usually (always when I have tried it) for the worse... so I don't like to do this...

Also the baffle response will be strongly influencing the low end response (for any practical domestic baffle) and reducing its size will impact the bass response by lifting the system lf rolloff point in some manner...

Martin - are you suggesting using some lf EQ network, either active or passive to adjust things or is it the pulling down of the rest of the frequency range to match the lf roll off of the driver that you are suggesting?

James

Hide this!Advertise here!