Crib Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2006, 06:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Crib Speakers

The wife and I have a baby on the way and as we were looking at different crib toys that played music one of the complaints was that they didn't play long enough. Naturally my first thought was... thats a simple fix, I'll build some speakers to work into the crib find a little amp and viola. My wife is very anti anything audio that cost money so the key elimate here is cheap. I don't want super crappy, but it is just a baby so the quality doesn't have to be great. I'll likely want to get carried away. I think it would be fun to use pvc pipes that wrap around something (I've seen a simular design but it's too expensive) but have no clue if theres any full range speakers that would work in pvc pipe. feel free to make other suggestions. The key here is to have fun and be creative. It gives me an excuse to play.
Old 2nd October 2006, 08:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

This is an interesting project, though a bit different. However, we need to take advantage of our every opportunity.

I'm going to assume the crib is in it's own room. I'd get a cheap little T-amp, build some small speaks that could either hang in corners or tall skinny speaks and go! Could just use an iPod, etc. for the source.

The small Fostex are nice, as are Jordans, maybe small hemps, etc. I think you can get away with more here with the T-amp as I'd assume you'll be using very low volumes. I'd think most any smaller driver would work, and at the low volumes, massive bass isn't an issue, as there won't be much anyway.

Just some initial thoughts.
Old 2nd October 2006, 08:43 PM   #3
Svein_B is offline Svein_B  Norway
diyAudio Member

The Tangband W3-871 work very nice in a small box, say 1,5 to 3 liters. PVC pipe could be a nice material.

Cheap, small, excellent sound

hint: do a search on the forum for: tangband bottle

SveinB.
Old 2nd October 2006, 11:08 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The Aura NS-3 or the HiVi 3" are good and they are cheap...

don't underestimate the small one's ability to decern quality, by feeding music you are helping to wire their auditory synapses.

dave
Old 3rd October 2006, 12:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys... My plan is really to turn my boy into an audiophile and it be a hobby we can do together. It'll be much harder for my wife to tell me no to projects if its for father son bonding, right?
Old 3rd October 2006, 01:06 PM   #6
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

The wife might perceive it as an excuse to do a stereo project rather than a more boring task like painting the room, etc etc.

Pregnant women are weird that way.
Old 3rd October 2006, 06:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking of going with the TB 3" and a T amp. It's a touch more then my super cheap expectations, but that isn't a problem with me. It could be a problem with the wife, but we'll see how that turns out. Now I just need to get creative with the enclosure. I'm still open for other suggestions of course. Thanks for the help so far guys.
Old 4th October 2006, 03:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

What are yalls thoughts of the TB W3-871 vs the HiVi 3". They'll be played at low volumes and there won't be any sort of filtering. I also may need some cheap suggestions for a diy amp. I'm having a hard time getting WAF on this at $70 bucks.
Old 4th October 2006, 04:34 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AutoAudio
TB W3-871 vs the HiVi 3"
According to the Zaph report, HiVi better than TB.

dave
Old 4th October 2006, 04:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks, already read it though. He liked it better when both were filtered. I'm wondering if anybody has thoughts when they're unfiltered. Although I appreciate all feedback.

Hide this!Advertise here!