Your favorite horn... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2006, 12:02 AM   #1
Rafal is offline Rafal  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Your favorite horn...

Hi Everyone,

What is the your favorite horn that you have heard? I don't neccesarily mean something in the lowther price range, but maybe something with more affordable fostex driver. I have heard good things about the ronhorn A126 with FE108es. Is there anything else I should consider? I would like to build a pair of the horns, but I don't want to build a pair and then feel like I have to upgrade soon. I wan to buid something that I can be happy with for a long, long time.

Plese give me some suggestions.

Cheers,
Rafal
Old 30th September 2006, 12:23 AM   #2
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

I never designed the A126 to be used with the Fostex 108. To fully realize the potential of the 108 truly takes a different design.

ron
Old 30th September 2006, 01:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Of the ones I've heard so far, these horns with the black bezel at Dave's were phenomenal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daves_horns.jpg (16.8 KB, 582 views)
Old 30th September 2006, 01:41 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ronc
I never designed the A126 to be used with the Fostex 108. To fully realize the potential of the 108 truly takes a different design.
That said, the 108 does work well in the A126 -- Ron suggested reducing CC volume to 1.8 litres.

If you have corners, the Frugel Horn, if you only have walls the A126. Since how low a horn goes is highly dependent on mouth size, you have to go to bigger & bigger horns to get more bass... just using a larger driver won't do (ie the Hedlund probably doesn't go as low as the 2 mentioned)... what you usually get with the larger driver is more efficiency, more cost, and often not as good mid/top.

I am very pleased with modified FE126 in my RonHorns.

dave
Old 30th September 2006, 02:52 AM   #5
Rafal is offline Rafal  Canada
diyAudio Member

Is there a design specifically made for FE108ES (other than fostek's recommended) that surpasses ronhorn A126 with FE108ES or FE126? I'm not opposed to using smaller driver like FE126 or FE108es and I don't even mind buiding large horns 9I think they can look pretty cool and sculptural) I just want the ultimate in sound quality.
Old 30th September 2006, 03:09 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rafal
I don't even mind buiding large horns...I just want the ultimate in sound quality.
Klien Horn for FE108eS

dave
Old 30th September 2006, 03:10 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

You could build a BIB. Look around in this same fullrange section. You will have to ask for the measurements for 108 BIB as they are not published.
Old 30th September 2006, 05:06 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Klien Horn for FE108eS

dave
Since I have concrete corners, couldn't I get exactly the same performance in a drastically smaller form with an appropriate design?
Old 30th September 2006, 06:08 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrewbee
You could build a BIB. Look around in this same fullrange section. You will have to ask for the measurements for 108 BIB as they are not published.
The BIB for the FE108eS but you can definitly pick out the rough edges.

One horn we haven't tried that we want to try are the Spawn/Harvey Horns.

dave
Old 30th September 2006, 06:11 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johninCR
Since I have concrete corners, couldn't I get exactly the same performance in a drastically smaller form with an appropriate design?
The Frugel-Horn Mk 2? Gotta get V1 into Martin's hands 1st.

I have a hunch, that thou possible by the theory, that a horn using the multiplying factor of a close surface still won't quit reach the same pinnacle as an all-out assault would.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!