fe208es-r

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
no that is not a typo...

there seems to have been talk of a debut in the spring. drool.

terry has a pair of 208es he was going to put into a huge double walla walla wall of sound or something last time I talked to him. killer.

the es-r, with alnico magnet, ugggg. this hobby gets mighty expensive.

google it. use the translator to find out more. here is a photo.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/spida/P208R11.jpg

the page of spi plaza seems to have a decent report of the show where it was introduced.

Clark

Blumenco, now why did you have to go and do this? I`m just getting my FE206ESR`s to sound the way I like `em to and you show up with these. But hey, I`m in the mortgage business and can help anyone who wants these with an equity loan or cash out refinance. If I get some additional business, maybe I can afford a pair or qualify for a loan myself.

lol !

The same goes for me !

I was just too proud of my 206esr ... and now those _____ make this beauty ! Too unfair !

I wish I'm no more student and have a few more thousand dollars to buy the new 400Alnico woofer that is too beautiful, a pair of these and a pair of T900

... dreaming ...

it certainly does not appear to be a cheap model;)

"As for FE208ES-R the super powerful outside magnetic type magnetic circuit which uses the large-sized alnico magnet of 3.1kg is loaded. In addition hybrid “new ES cone” of the new combination which has the rigidity which is superior and, the zinc die-cast frame and adoption etc of the radial paper making HP diaphragm become feature."

I wonder if Madisound will carry it.

Maybe someone from Madisound is passing through and can give us some info. IIRC the someone's name is Brian.

AV-FOS-FE_big.jpg

Originally posted by Andrewbee

This new 208 uses more Alnico in the motor methinks and being an ES-R I would also think is a higher spec driver so I think its safe to say its "a bit" more than $373.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````

seems to be the same magnet of the 'W400a'.

weren't those nearly 1500$US?

the '400s' replacement-

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=w400ahrsr7.jpg

Hmmmm,

Tomtt,

I just checked my literature and the W400A did have a 3.1Kg Alnico magnet
so maybe it is the same.
Solen in Canada has the W400A listed as US$1524.90 but that must be the new version the W400A-HR as the W400A is long gone by now I would think.

The W400A was 132,000 Yen when it came out. I am not sure of the conversion rate between US$ and the Yen but @110 for arguments sake thats a little under US$1200, figure in some freight, maybe a little duty and mark up and US$1500 does not seem farfetched.

No way the FE208ES-R should cost that though.

planet10 said:

Me too ... that is the one i'm calling the FE128eSR... maybe if we can get together an order of 1,000 they'll push it ahead.

dave

a little voice is whispering in my ear "careful what you wish"... we could end up seeing a driver in the price range of the Exact or alnico Lowthers, or field coil Supravox, or vintage WE755A or ........

most likely.

I am pretty sure it will need a super tweeter. say, t500mkII sound right here?

they tend to come out with things in pairs. the t90aex sounds wonderful with the fe206 es-r and a .33mf cs cap, no attenuation.

from what I can tell studying the history of their drivers, fostex tends to like to detune the biggest baddest drivers so that they DO need a supertweeter. case in point is the 208es, which responds to around 10k...

I personally prefer the sound of a well setup big system with a supertweeter than one without. this is in the right room, etc, etc. its all about dynamics...by the time you get the big speakers far enough away from each other, they image similarly with or without a supertweeter and the supertweeter changes the perceived speed and upper range dynamics of the big drivers significantly. to me, it ends up not even really being about frequency response. it is simply the speed and tone quality that results. also, it tends to help the big drivers not seem so beamy, making them more pleasurable to listen to off axis.

By the way, in my 206 es-r horns, i have arrived at no brass rings (wave launch, bass response anomolies), as mentioned before a .33 on the t90aex, no damping in the CC or anywhere in the horn, an a single p-16 on the upper board of the horn mouth. this is peice number 13. towards the back too. I know, it sems weird, but it works VERY well in my room. I do not have nice wood floors to give the first load on the mouth so this might have something to do with it. also, I am using a roughly 55 degree toe in angle. seemingly very high. the speaker behaves similarly to a nearfeild monitor, and kindof sounds like one too for that matter. I am using cheap 18 guage litz audio hookup wire as speaker wire. this seems to be a decent presentation for these speakers. this is a very pleasing and ruthlessly sensitive loudspeaker. not for the faint of heart. it will really take you on a ride...if you sit in the g-spot!

while I would like to say that the 206es-r is simply it, the 208es-r promises to be a very special driver indeed. all the rest of the features pale in comparison to the use of alnico. I feel this will put it on par to rival some of the greatest drivers ever made....perhaps of course, this is speculation. lanthanum cobalt is nice and all but alnico with 100db efficiency? wooohoooo. if they get the tone of this thing right, then that is really something.

the 206 es-r is good enough though that I feel it to be simply beyond criticism. it is good in its own right. it has a very large "oh my god" range within its frequency response. crazy dynamics, DEFINITELY not a waste of money or time.

Ill keep my brass rings around for the 208es-r...muahaha!!!

Clark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.