fe208es-r - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2006, 09:46 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Well... the F200A which is an 8" driver with Alnico for the motor is US$373.

This new 208 uses more Alnico in the motor methinks and being an ES-R I would also think is a higher spec driver so I think its safe to say its "a bit" more than $373.
Old 29th September 2006, 01:06 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Originally posted by Andrewbee

This new 208 uses more Alnico in the motor methinks and being an ES-R I would also think is a higher spec driver so I think its safe to say its "a bit" more than $373.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````

seems to be the same magnet of the 'W400a'.

weren't those nearly 1500$US?

the '400s' replacement-

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=w400ahrsr7.jpg
Old 29th September 2006, 02:42 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hmmmm,

Tomtt,

I just checked my literature and the W400A did have a 3.1Kg Alnico magnet
so maybe it is the same.
Solen in Canada has the W400A listed as US$1524.90 but that must be the new version the W400A-HR as the W400A is long gone by now I would think.

The W400A was 132,000 Yen when it came out. I am not sure of the conversion rate between US$ and the Yen but @110 for arguments sake thats a little under US$1200, figure in some freight, maybe a little duty and mark up and US$1500 does not seem farfetched.

No way the FE208ES-R should cost that though.
Old 29th September 2006, 02:51 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Originally posted by Andrewbee

No way the FE208ES-R should cost that though.

````````````````````````````````````````````

hope they are less than 500.... $

space rock-

http://www.myspace.com/anubisspire
Old 29th September 2006, 03:03 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
hope they are less than 500.... $
I think so...each.

My guess is around US$100 more than the F200A so ~US$475 or so each. I think most of the drivers are now manufactured in China so there is a savings there. Hopefully, Madisound will get some.
Time to start saving!
Old 29th September 2006, 04:28 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Minus23
kinda hoping for something along the lines of fe103es-r or fe108es-r, fe108es III. a 4" or 4.5" special edition driver.
Me too ... that is the one i'm calling the FE128eSR... maybe if we can get together an order of 1,000 they'll push it ahead.

dave
Old 29th September 2006, 06:41 AM   #17
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Me too ... that is the one i'm calling the FE128eSR... maybe if we can get together an order of 1,000 they'll push it ahead.

dave

a little voice is whispering in my ear "careful what you wish"... we could end up seeing a driver in the price range of the Exact or alnico Lowthers, or field coil Supravox, or vintage WE755A or ........
Old 30th September 2006, 09:17 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

But does it need a supertweeter like the Fe208?
Old 2nd October 2006, 05:22 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default most likely.

I am pretty sure it will need a super tweeter. say, t500mkII sound right here?

they tend to come out with things in pairs. the t90aex sounds wonderful with the fe206 es-r and a .33mf cs cap, no attenuation.

from what I can tell studying the history of their drivers, fostex tends to like to detune the biggest baddest drivers so that they DO need a supertweeter. case in point is the 208es, which responds to around 10k...

I personally prefer the sound of a well setup big system with a supertweeter than one without. this is in the right room, etc, etc. its all about dynamics...by the time you get the big speakers far enough away from each other, they image similarly with or without a supertweeter and the supertweeter changes the perceived speed and upper range dynamics of the big drivers significantly. to me, it ends up not even really being about frequency response. it is simply the speed and tone quality that results. also, it tends to help the big drivers not seem so beamy, making them more pleasurable to listen to off axis.

By the way, in my 206 es-r horns, i have arrived at no brass rings (wave launch, bass response anomolies), as mentioned before a .33 on the t90aex, no damping in the CC or anywhere in the horn, an a single p-16 on the upper board of the horn mouth. this is peice number 13. towards the back too. I know, it sems weird, but it works VERY well in my room. I do not have nice wood floors to give the first load on the mouth so this might have something to do with it. also, I am using a roughly 55 degree toe in angle. seemingly very high. the speaker behaves similarly to a nearfeild monitor, and kindof sounds like one too for that matter. I am using cheap 18 guage litz audio hookup wire as speaker wire. this seems to be a decent presentation for these speakers. this is a very pleasing and ruthlessly sensitive loudspeaker. not for the faint of heart. it will really take you on a ride...if you sit in the g-spot!

while I would like to say that the 206es-r is simply it, the 208es-r promises to be a very special driver indeed. all the rest of the features pale in comparison to the use of alnico. I feel this will put it on par to rival some of the greatest drivers ever made....perhaps of course, this is speculation. lanthanum cobalt is nice and all but alnico with 100db efficiency? wooohoooo. if they get the tone of this thing right, then that is really something.

the 206 es-r is good enough though that I feel it to be simply beyond criticism. it is good in its own right. it has a very large "oh my god" range within its frequency response. crazy dynamics, DEFINITELY not a waste of money or time.

Ill keep my brass rings around for the 208es-r...muahaha!!!

Clark

Hide this!Advertise here!